What do you dip your new corals with?

Kbra

What do you dip your new corals with? What seems to be worth the $ ?

I know there was a post about this somewhere already but i couldn't find it. Any ways there should probably be one in this section. :beer:

Nick_kun

For softies and all around dip, I use Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure. For newly stonys, I usually do a double dip with TMPCC one day and Revive.

- Nick

Revive, TMPCC, and flatworm exit. On zoas that are wild colonies I typically do a FW dip for 3 min as well. On all SPS i add a pinch of interceptor to the mix.

I would rather lose one new coral than a tank full of healthy established ones...

Nick_kun

Revive, TMPCC, and flatworm exit. On zoas that are wild colonies I typically do a FW dip for 3 min as well. On all SPS i add a pinch of interceptor to the mix.

I would rather lose one new coral than a tank full of healthy established ones...
good point. Having interceptor handy is great for new sps. Also, FW dipping zoas is also good. I've flushed out a few mantis shrimp out of fresh zoas colonies.

Kbra

Im assuming dipping corals would put quite a bit of stress on them too right? I agree with the rather loose one then all though for sure. Its rare to loose a coral from dipping though right? How long do they normally take to bounce back?

I dip my corals in freshwater for about 2 hours and for some reason they all die. Weird i know.:dontknow:

Totally kidding!lol! But seriously I know someone who uses Tropic Marin Pro coral cure on his SPS and it stresses them out quite a bit but they bounce back after 2-3 days from what he's told me. All the other coral types were fine after a few hours being dipped. It stresses them out since they are being dipped into something that they aren't used to but it's definitely not harmful for them! I'm actually going to start using Revive now just for precautionary reasons. I have been lucky so far with all the corals I have acquired without dipping them but i'd rather be safe than sorry later :)

Kbra

LOL

Yeah im looking into dipping now too. As far as the fresh water dip is temp critical for the dip? Seeing how its always important to acclimate into the tank, wouldn't you need to acclimate them to some kind of heated FW? or is this not needed?

I read something on freshwater dipping corals a while back and as long as the temp of the water is not extreme like super cold or super hot but at room temp(which is normally 78 degrees i think) at least then you should be fine.

I usually make my FW up with a pH buffer, ie, i add the pH 8.3 buffer to RODI water. Then I place that container in my sump to allow it to warm. This usually takes a bit of time, but it is worht it. My whole dipping procedure usually takes about an hour.

A healthy coral will be stressed, but it will survive, one that is not or is infested with something might not make it, but that is good, you dont want disease in your tank.

Latest posts