Bayer Insecticide as a coral dip

watchguy123

Featured Reef
These are the steps I take before adding a frag. I picked this up from another forum by two reefers in particular, Flamron and Whisperer.

Certainly you start with close visual inspection.

Here is the frag in the bag:

Here is the frag out of water on its original plug

I then remove the plug from the frag and place the frag in about 4 ounces (half a cup) of its original water or "tank" water.

I then get out my Bayer and 10ml syringe (this stuff is extremely hazardous, do not touch it with your skin, well ventilated room and do not spill it.)

then add 10 ml's of bayer to the 4 ounces of water in the cup

and this is what the cup looks like with the bayer

I wait atleast 5 minutes

I get a cup of "tank" water (not from the collection bag water), so I can take the frag out of the cup of water with 10ml of bayer. Place the frag in your "tank" water cup. Remember do not touch frag with bayer, do not put hands into cup with bayer, use tweezers or cotton pliers. Bayer is hazardous to your health, do not let it touch your skin and do not inhale vapor.

I always wait atleast 5 minutes to allow the frag to soak in the dip. Notice about 6 minutes passed before I transferred frag from cup with bayer to cup with "tank" water. Notice brand new plug with zap glue waiting for frag.

The "tank" water cup serves to rinse the frag clean of Bayer before it goes in the display or quarantine tank. Do not use original frag bag water for rinse, it may have free floating pests in it.

Then I glue it in tank

Turtlespd

That's a really strong dose. This is the first time I ever heard anyone using 10ml/4oz@5min. Have u had any deaths with such a strong dose? I have been using 2ml/1cup@10min and have been fairly happy but was contiplating a stronger dose. Have u been doing this long and how about smooth skinned sps such as deep water. Have u dipped those guys at ur dosage?

watchguy123

Featured Reef
That's a really strong dose. This is the first time I ever heard anyone using 10ml/4oz@5min. Have u had any deaths with such a strong dose? I have been using 2ml/1cup@10min and have been fairly happy but was contiplating a stronger dose. Have u been doing this long and how about smooth skinned sps such as deep water. Have u dipped those guys at ur dosage?
Yes, I have used this about 100 times (not exaggerating). I use it on all frags, even LPS such as chalices, and yes smooth skin acros like echinata, and red dragon and pacman. I started using this procedure about 1-2 years ago. It is the same dosage as described on another forum. None of the coral that i have dipped have responded adversely. If polyps are extended when the frag goes in the dip, they come out with extended polyps. Never seen distress because of the dip. Certainly, I have had mortality with new frags just like everyone does but rarely. Maybe a few out of 100 and those were likely stressed before they went into the dip. Also, please carefully note which Bayer product I used, photo is in original thread. If you use a different bottle or concentrate then a different dose. Please be advised that there are different versions and concentrations of Bayer. I am only familiar with the one I shared in the thread.

watchguy123

Featured Reef
nice step x step well done.
so you have the frag in ''its original water'' then add the dip but you take it out of ''its original water'' and put it you're tank water with no accumulation?
I place the frag into the cup of 4 ounces of original water and 10 ml of the Bayer for 5 minutes at least. Then after the 5 plus minute dip, I take the frag out of the dip and place it in a cup of tank water as a rinse before it goes in the tank. So hopefully there is no or little accumulation in the display or quarantine tank.

Probably does not make any difference if the dip (cup with 4 ounces of water and 10 ml of Bayer) is from frag bag or from tank. This is just the way I have always done it. I do the rinse in "tank" water because I definitely do not want to use the original frag bag water because it may have free floating pests in it.

Because of your question and my concern for any confusion, I edited the original post to include the above info.

watchguy123

Featured Reef
yeah that is a very strong dose to me at least
Of course it is strong, that's why it kills things like bugs and insects. No one knows the perfect dose yet, its all empirical. But given that no scientific research has been done with this product against red bugs and AEFW, it nonetheless seems to work great (empirically, of course) against coral pests of all sorts.

In fact, we should probably get all the socali reefers together, form a company, put 4 ounces of this stuff in a small bottle and sell it for 20 dollars a pop. That, I could use a dose of, the stronger the better.

I place the frag into the cup of 4 ounces of original water and 10 ml of the Bayer for 5 minutes at least. Then after the 5 plus minute dip, I take the frag out of the dip and place it in a cup of tank water as a rinse before it goes in the tank. So hopefully there is no or little accumulation in the display or quarantine tank.

Probably does not make any difference if the dip (cup with 4 ounces of water and 10 ml of Bayer) is from frag bag or from tank. This is just the way I have always done it. I do the rinse in "tank" water because I definitely do not want to use the original frag bag water because it may have free floating pests in it.

Because of your question and my concern for any confusion, I edited the original post to include the above info.
no i saw how you did it no confusion, my question is when do you do the accumulation from it's water to you're as i did not see that step it you're op.

when i add a coral i do a accumulation 1st then in the last 5 min's i add the dip.

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Thank you!!!! I've been wondering how people do it for a while now!! So this is your only dip you use when adding stuff to your DT?
Yes, it is my only dip. I have gathered so many different frags from so many different sources and I am reasonably confident that I have removed all pests from the frag due to this dip. I am very consistent in removing plugs from frags because I think that is a highly likely source to bring in pest eggs. I do not think anything kills eggs, at least nothing that I am sure about. If I get a chalice that has encrusted on a plug and cannot remove the plug, I then cover the plug with zap gel right up to the frag as best as possible.

watchguy123

Featured Reef
no i saw how you did it no confusion, my question is when do you do the accumulation from it's water to you're as i did not see that step it you're op.

when i add a coral i do a accumulation 1st then in the last 5 min's i add the dip.
I float the bag in the sump for a while to temperature acclimate. From there, the dip begins.