Ultra Gem Burbank - Mini Review

Checked out UltraGem in Burbank today. Decent selection of the more common beginner fish and designer Clowns. Looked healthy. Good prices on CuC. Good amount of colored up SPS and LPS corals both colonies and frags. Everything was under blue LED only though, so hard to tell what they look like under full spectrum.

They have some intense bubble gum Digi I've never seen so bright and colorful. But at $75 for a 1/2 in. single branch I couldn't do it.
Customer service wise they were good. Greeted when I came in and offered service without being pushy. Knowledgeable as well.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Went to Ultra Gem a few weekends ago, gotta say Adam was very helpful and knowledgeable. Left with a Frostbite clown and almost bought an anemone but decided my tank wasn't ready. Great customer service and informative without being pushy like you said.

I pass by this store at least twice a month when I visit my house in Burbank. These guys are legit, Adam is cool and knowledgeable. I think the best deals are around their corals and dry goods.

This store is awesome, one of the best in socal !! large amount of reef accessories including ( triton/KZ/BRS /Hanna/ESV/GHL/ecotech,etc.. .. just treated my reef to a GHL doser , slave and magnetic stirrer (all in stock mind you) and of course great selection of coral and fish ..

James is really knowledgeable about his pieces and competes with hobbiest pricing. I purchased a 1 pink caddy from him for $150. All the other guys dont know much about the acros and will overprice. Older guy/owner tried selling me a fox flame for $150.

Do any of you guys know if they rent out par meters ?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Yes they do for $20/ day. Might want to make sure its available first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thanks for the info i think im going to call before i go since they are kinda far from me.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

James is really knowledgeable about his pieces and competes with hobbiest pricing. I purchased a 1 pink caddy from him for $150. All the other guys dont know much about the acros and will overprice. Older guy/owner tried selling me a fox flame for $150.
That's an unfortunate business practice. Prices shouldnt change that drastically depending on which employee you talk to.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Isn't that what Jason Fox charges? Sounds like retail pricing to me. In which case, I would expect so coming from an actual retail shop. Take into account their shop is very well stocked with not only common stuff, but also more rare fish and coral. In addition, they have a great collection of dry goods. I would be more outraged if they tried charging double what Jason Fox is asking for.

Been to Ultragem 3 times, the first time every Acro I was interested in the guy had to call and ask for prices and finally told me to wait about 10 minutes and the guy who knows all the prices will be there. I waited 30 minutes and nobody showed up so I left. I really liked some stuff they had so a few weeks later I was back in the area and decided to give them another chance. This time I got somebody who new prices off the bat, some stuff I asked about were way over priced ($350 for a golf ball sized mariculutured colony, $250 for a 2 grafted monti frag), but he agreed to make me a package deal on 3 pieces I was interested in and a price I thought was fair. As I live 200 miles north I told him Ill be back on my way home in a couple days to pick up the corals. When I showed up to pick up the corals, I was back with the guy who had to call for everything, he sent pics of the coral I wanted but whoever he sent pics too said those werent the ones we talked about a couple days ago. He asked me to wait 30 minutes for him to show up, I was trying to hit the road home so I walked out and will never give them my business again. I sent them a message on FB and never got a reply.

Latest posts