Nitrate help

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
Last week my tank measured in at 50 for nitrate..which I know is toxic in a reef. Problem was that I used some of the water from the established fowlr tank I bought. So I quickly did a 30% water change hoping that would lower it, but today when I measured it, it was still in the 30-50 range. All I have in there is a blue spotted goby and a clown fish and misc corals.

Should I continue to do a big water change?
I have a 5 gallon water change ready to go.

Im also in the process of searching for a tank to setup as a fuge also.
Please advise. Thanks

Kbra

Keep doing those water changes. Its the best way to get it down. Id do more than 5gal change too for a 59 gal reef. Your not gonna hurt anything just make sure to preheat the water to tank temp

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
water changes are getting expensive for me. I am waiting to go home for thanksgiving to bring my ro/di unit over here. Ive been buying ro/di at 1 dollar per gallon over here and its breaking the bank.

Ill try to add a fuge asap...
and continue to do water changes and see where it takes me

Get another RO/DI, even a cheap one. Unless you have tested the water you are buying it may be contaminated. Also ask someone for some Chaeto, a little ball floating in a basket in your sump will do wonders. Just put a Home Depot daylight bulb over it and nitrates will start to decline. Keep up those water changes.

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
Thanks, I actually grabbed a ball of cheato from my roomate and its floating in my overflow as we speak. Thanks for the idea

Mikeee do you have a skimmer on this tank? Vodka works very very good at cleaning a tank. Follow the dosing guide chart and your nitrates will drop within weeks to 0. Water changes can get very expensive fast if your buying from an LFS, I would stay away from big waterchanges.

the unfortunate things is that it is pretty pointless to use "used" water from an old established tank. The beneficial bacteria that we want in our tank is on surface area of our rocks, substrate, and tank (i.e. very porous LR is best because of more surface area). The bacteria we want in our tank doesn't really travel in the water column....

Using a skimmer, maybe more water movement in the tank, and definitely setting up a refugium will help!

I had a nitrate problem a couple weweks ago but I found that my skimmer was leaking and wasnt skimming. Might want to take a closer look at that, just an idea im new to this.

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
Mikeee do you have a skimmer on this tank? Vodka works very very good at cleaning a tank. Follow the dosing guide chart and your nitrates will drop within weeks to 0. Water changes can get very expensive fast if your buying from an LFS, I would stay away from big waterchanges.
I have heard about Vodka dosing, but do not no the full details. How does vodka work?

the unfortunate things is that it is pretty pointless to use "used" water from an old established tank. The beneficial bacteria that we want in our tank is on surface area of our rocks, substrate, and tank (i.e. very porous LR is best because of more surface area). The bacteria we want in our tank doesn't really travel in the water column....

Using a skimmer, maybe more water movement in the tank, and definitely setting up a refugium will help!
The reason why I took so much of his water was because I did not want to go buy 60 gallons of ro/di water from the lfs. What i have done was to skim wetter, and flow wise i have 2x tunzes 6045 and 2x 6025. Hoping to setup a fuge in the near future

Latest posts