edcal

Bought a used 65 Gallon reef tank

filteration: built-in overflow with a prefilter
20 gallon sump w/skimmer and refug
about 100 lbs of live rock

Tank has been running for several months
Ammonia, Nitrates and Nitrates are good

Problem is: My Chromis, Royal Grammas and Perculas keep dieing
My dragon Wrasse is fine and my Blue and Yellow Tang is fine.
I've gone thru 4 grammas and 9 perculas and over 20 Chromis
in the last 5 months. My other tank these fish are hardy but
when i buy some for my new tank they die within 1 to 2 weeks.

I was thinking maybe the old used crushed coral gravel is bad???
any Ideas...please guys I could use some help here

Well, for starters, that's a pretty small tank for tangs, even if they are healthy... However, what are your actual test results. Folks will want to know that before they can help. Where's your salinity at, what are you using for top off and water changes? Yes, the crushed coral could be an issue, it tends to trap junk and cause nitrate issues, what are your nitrates at? Do you keep buying the same fish from the same place?

d34532

Hmm my guess is that they are not dieing because of anything but that your Dragon Wrasse is the killer they are aggressive and will eat a number of things small then them. Hell I seen them try to eat a fish through the net when a LFS guy drip a fish into its tank by mistake for few seconds when he was getting that fish for a customer.

If the crushed gravel was bad I would think you'll have problems with the tangs also. I would remove the crushed coral anyways because they are crap trap.

Added:
Sorry for asking but do you research your livestock before getting them because the dragon wrasse and the tangs will easily out grow your current tank and seems like a bad mix of livestock.

Last edited: