No SPS poly extention

Kbra

So i have never really seen much polyp extension of my few SPS frags. They still have their color and are surviving but just don't seem to be all that happy. What can be the cause of this retraction of the corals?

AJDuran

Any fish picking at them lately? I had the same thing happen and it was my flame angel nipping at them they grew and had color but no PE

Kbra

No bugs i do have a flame but i havent seen him pick. I have multiple small collonies so hes probably not gettin them all if he is tho yea?

mr_cali

Could be the flame. I had a flame in my tank that I never witnessed pick at any of my SPS but they all had really poor PE. I sold my flame a few weeks back and now all of the polyps are beginning to extend. I changed nothing else to my tank regiment.

definitely the angel. I have a tank with 2 dwarf angels with no polyp ext, which is plumbed into my fishless frag tank, which has wild polyp ext. Since both tanks share the water and have the same params, its the fish that are doing the deed.

if my nitrates and or phosphates increase i see a dramatic reduction in polyp extension as well as if i have low kH and or calcium

i would increase amount of water during or just increase number of water changes

Clifford

Premium sponsor
I would say the flame. Mine decided to eat a new acan recently and I have other acans in the tank. Everybody told me to get rid of it. If I could catch it I might.

if my nitrates and or phosphates increase i see a dramatic reduction in polyp extension as well as if i have low kH and or calcium

i would increase amount of water during or just increase number of water changes
+1 in my experience. +1 on the flame angel too since they often snack when you aren't around.

This is an old thread but since Its up my alley, the Flame is the guilty one, and probably dirty water maybe its not the cause just a theory from whatever, poor circulation, overfeeding, or high nutrients. Stabs in the dark cause only you know your on tank....Okay me now.... I have 8 frags that have excellent PE now that the Angels are gone compared to 2 before of course my water is filthy my skimmer is breaking in so I can also attest that I should have all of my frags full of "hairyness" but its not the case.