PH is 9.0 ALK is 4.0

dwl

your pH reading was likely inaccurate. If you got that high, it is very likely that you would have a precipitation event. Since you didn't mention a milky tank, I'd assume that was wrong, unless you tested right after you adjusted and took the sample before letting it disperse.

Also whoever told you not to use baking soda/soda ash was flat out lying to you to get you to buy their product. please pm me to tell me who it was if you don't want to say it here, because I cannot STAND that sort of behavior.
This.

I would also like to know who told you not to use baking soda/soda ash. I have only had 1 lfs tell me that as they were trying to get me to buy a $20.00 container of baking soda. lol

I told them that I would just use baking soda and they tried to tell me that Arm 7 Hammer was only food grade but their stuff was pharmaceutical grade... when I smiled really big (trying not to laugh) they just said, Oh yea, you read it on the internet, it has to be right.
That lfs is no longer in business.

I'm not the type to out any shop. I believe they all have their faults. And I would add that this employee, who/m I will not name, may have been acting on his own idealology(or commission) and not that of the stores.

I shop at all of them. Never no what you may see. And people like me learn from the experience after consulting with many more on forums like this.

DWL. Very funny. They actually mentioned that the grocery store baking soda was only 99.9 percent pure. That you can't trust that extra .01 percent. Do I have that zero in the right spot? And I being a goof ball heeded this extraordinary knowledge as truth.

Anyway. I'll do a water test tomorrow and post the results.

Thanks again you guys.

your pH reading was likely inaccurate. If you got that high, it is very likely that you would have a precipitation event. Since you didn't mention a milky tank, I'd assume that was wrong, unless you tested right after you adjusted and took the sample before letting it disperse.

Also whoever told you not to use baking soda/soda ash was flat out lying to you to get you to buy their product. please pm me to tell me who it was if you don't want to say it here, because I cannot STAND that sort of behavior.
+10,000

Wes

hardly anything you buy from a LFS is going to be higher quality than food grade(actually, I would venture a guess that nearly NOTHING is higher than food quality). Again, they're either trying to sell you something or don't know enough to know check if their information is correct. The FDA has a lot more regulation than whoever is making your reefing supplements. The purity issue is BS, basically. IF you want to be really picky, go through bulk reef supply; they're the most pure you can get for cheap.