Instant Ocean Salt Mix has "NITRATES"

I tested my Instant Ocean Salt Mix, and it showed .05ppm to .10ppm, and then I tested my water that I use to mix with it, and it tested .0ppm What in the world is going on with this salt mix that says it doesn't have nitrates.:thumpdown:

Wes

what is the margin of error on the test kit? .05-.10 is an amazingly small amount... even twenty times that is little to be concerned about...

How soon after mixing your water are you testing it? You should wait at least 24 hours to let the new salt water settle and equalize.

Also, are you testing your fresh water with salt water test kits?

How soon after mixing your water are you testing it? You should wait at least 24 hours to let the new salt water settle and equalize.

Also, are you testing your fresh water with salt water test kits?
1. Are you saying that if I wait 24 Hours, it will test 0ppm? if so I didn't know, an will do for now on, I usually wait about 8 to 10 hours.

2. Are you saying that I can't use my saltwater nitrate test kit, on fresh water, because when I test tap water with it, it shows nitrates, and when I test my RO water it doesn't, so that's telling me that I can!

Wes

I bet it shows fairly high nitrates for your tap, though. Last I checked, EPA limit is somewhere near 10ppm, 100x higher than you read from your saltwater.

I'm not sure exactly what the reagents are and thus can't tell you exactly what they'd do in tap, but I can say that tap water is no where near pure 0 TDS RO/DI. In any case, the nitrates you're seeing are so low that they're irrelevant. Having absolutely no nitrates in your tank would kill all of your photosynthetic corals; there is NO reason to fret over a reading of .05-.10. Hell, there's no reason to fret until it's near 5 and you're seeing algae issues or otherwise.

I have a hard time believing that hobbyist test kits are reliable enough to such precision. This really is a non-issue.

I bet it shows fairly high nitrates for your tap, though. Last I checked, EPA limit is somewhere near 10ppm, 100x higher than you read from your saltwater.

I'm not sure exactly what the reagents are and thus can't tell you exactly what they'd do in tap, but I can say that tap water is no where near pure 0 TDS RO/DI. In any case, the nitrates you're seeing are so low that they're irrelevant. Having absolutely no nitrates in your tank would kill all of your photosynthetic corals; there is NO reason to fret over a reading of .05-.10. Hell, there's no reason to fret until it's near 5 and you're seeing algae issues or otherwise.

I have a hard time believing that hobbyist test kits are reliable enough to such precision. This really is a non-issue.
Point taken! :top: