Brightwell's salt residue?

I have been using the Brightwell's for a few weeks now and besides the near impossible to open bucket, the only issue i have had is the black residue in the bottom of the mixing bucket. I have contacted Chris at Brightwell's and he is looking into it for me. I will post his response here.

Otherwise I have been happy with it and it tests higher than I had read.

Is anybody else getting this residue? Thanks, Dave

Okay, here's pics of the stuff I am talking about. I also sentthese pics I sent to Chris at Brightwell's:

For those interested

Ok, heard back from Chris already, and as I hoped and expected, it is nothing to worry about, just a bit annoying. Here is his response:
"Hello Dave,
Thank you. Indeed, what you are seeing are the insoluble particles I referred to in my previous e-mail. The abundance in the pail appears to be higher than one would normally see, and this is likely a result of variation in the anhydrous magnesium chloride that is used. The particles are completely inert; they are oxides of magnesium that form during the production process of that material. There is no reason not to use the resultant water that has been prepared.

Rather than use anhydrous magnesium salts, many manufacturers choose to use hydrated magnesium salts, which contain ammonia and heavy metals in many cases (depending upon the grade utilized). We prefer to go with the lesser of two evils, even though the anhydrous material costs an order of magnitude more than the hydrated material. I apologize for the appearance of these particles in the salt; we do our best to limit their prevalence but unfortunately its a natural aspect of the material itself that we have limited control over. Even if some of the particles were to enter the system, they would have no negative impact on anything.

Kindest regards,

Chris"

have you tried other salts besides brightwell? I get a TON of crap on the bottom of my 55g drum and I currently use d&d salt. I've had it with other salts as well, I just assumed it was normal..

I did get a brown residue with Reef Crystals, which is why i switched, but I never got anything with the old Instant Ocean recipe, but the levels were too low. The people I know who recommend and use Coralife say no residue, same with Tropic Marin Pro

Thanks for the info.

The flip side of this happens when you use a black bucket, I get insoluble white (or close to it) specs occasionally when I use SeaChem Reef. I just run my water through a brine-shrimp net as it goes into my tank so I don't have to worry about it.

tropic marin pro reef and d&d have had no residue.i recommend you switch.the brightwell stuff is all hype.

I switch from RC to TM and my Mg is been steady at 1250 without dosing, with RC it was at 1050 at all times, never tried Brightwell salts but I'm using their supplements.

i switched from tropic marin pro reef to brightwell as couple of months ago in my frag tanks and display just to try it out and im getting really similar readings to TMPR. a little more dosing but def not close to as much as other salts. and its half the price of TMPR. i think all the brightwell products are great. have real good experience with them. as for the residue. alot of the salts i have used have it.

Is the residue hurting the tank? If not what is the big deal?
Before I spoke with Chris at brightwell's, I thought it might be so I had been straining my fresh SW.
lazy dont want to clean the water bucket my friend thats my complaint about that salt and d&d
Exactly, I start with a clean bucket, I want to finish with one. Part of the reason I will be switching to Coralife next time around(and the price)

Latest posts