Salt mix and pH?

Kbra

So im pretty sure it did but im not sure so im gonna ask.

Does brand of salt mix effect the tanks pH? I have a hard time keeping my tank above 8.0 without adding buffer daily...

shapermike

I watch my PH and when it gets to 8.0 I dose the recipe 1 on BRS two part and it goes back up to 8.05 to 8.1. i keep my alk around 8 dkh. it does not take much to do this. I add it slowly. I have 1200 gal so I add 600 ml's and it does the trick and I do this every 4 days or so.

do you add ro water strait to your system? that could also have an affect since it is low ph

Kbra

I have a 5 gal bucket i have as a holding tank for RO that i have to refill about twice a week. That could be the problem as well. Im setting up a dosing systems on my controller to do what your doing basically just not done yet.

Kbra

Do you do that pH check at night too? Meaning you dont let it drop bellow 8 over night as well

JOSE CASAS

Premium Member
Supporter
I would say no If any it will help you bring up the ph in the tank. Lack of water changes coulld bring it down. This this at the end of your photo period?

Kbra

I do 10-20 gal water changes almost weekly on my 100gal total system.

Just to clarify Jose, I should never let my tank drop below 8.0 even when the lights are off at like 3am?

Kbra

I do, daily

But im still trying to find out if its ok that it drops bellow 8 over night.

D

DETANE

My Ph stays at 8.2 day time. 8.0-8.1 night.
Since the Calcium reactor is on 24hrs, tank stays steady. i dose DKH and Kalk every other week. along with strontium.

D

DETANE

Also, do you have a reverse cycle on your refugium? that helps keep it steady if you do.

JOSE CASAS

Premium Member
Supporter
I do 10-20 gal water changes almost weekly on my 100gal total system.

Just to clarify Jose, I should never let my tank drop below 8.0 even when the lights are off at like 3am?
I know some people that run 7.8 at night. What are you testing it with?

Kbra

I know some people that run 7.8 at night. What are you testing it with?
Standard pH probe from my controller. Its been calibrated twice as well.
You can see bellow where the tanks at right now and lights are off except actinics till 1 when the first halide kicks on..