Newbie Questions

Reefster

Hi,

I wanted to get a pH tester. I currently use the strip, but it always says somewhere between 7.8 and 8.4 which seems like a pretty wide range and sounds like it could be a little low. Does anyone have an opinion on a good one that isn't too expensive and where to get one?

I also wanted to get an inexpensive ro/di system. Same question, which one and where to get it?

Oh yeah, do you think I need to add calcium if I do weekly water changes? The hard coral all come out, but I can't tell if the hard part is growing.

I appreciate everyone's help in advance. I'm really enjoying this hobby and all of my coral (even the sps) and fish are still surviving.

Thanks

JOSE CASAS

Premium Member
Supporter
Get the API test kista little better than the strip. You need to test the calcuim and then you will know if the water chanes are enough.

Reefster

Thanks for your help. I think I am going to get the Captive Purity 75 GPD Deluxe RO/DI Filter System from marine depot for $190. It seems like a decent deal.

If you can afford a probe, get a probe for pH, otherwise the AP should work, mine gets pretty close to my probe readings...

As far as RO/DI, check out Air, Water, Ice, they have good stuff and cheaper than the one you listed, plus they are a sponsor...

And yes, test your calcium and alk levels to see if WC will suffice... HTH