Drilling acrylic and painting.

adam1121

Is there any special methods to drilling acrylic? I need to drill 3 holes. I have diamond coated drill bits for it. And when im done is there a special paint i have to use since its acrylic? Thanks

Adam

pookstreet

I just use the regular old hole saws. Just make sure you have the right diameter ones that are a little bigger than the bulkheads or whatever you'll be putting in. No need for diamond coated anything for acrylic.

Why do you need to paint the holes? Or are you talking about the entire back?

adam1121

Lol, i meant the entire back. And that stinks. I just ordered all these hole saws too lol. I still need to cool it though right? Oh and ill get the dimensions on the overflow and pm them to you sometime soon. Thanks kenny

pookstreet

No cooling needed for acrylic. Glass is a different story.

For the back, why don't you use the stick on vinyl from BlueLife. I used it on my 300 and it goes on like window tinting. Better than paint.

ASommers

You want to cool acrylic other wise it's going to melt. I did mine in the back yard and slowly ran water over it while I was drilling and ran the drill slow

pookstreet

Yep, slow is the key. I've cut/drill acrylic for the past 2 years and never had to cool it. There's no way I am pouring water it while on the table saw :D

adam1121

Lol, alright thanks guys. So i can just use a regular wood hole saw? Im gonna lay it out tonight and try it hopefully by this weekend(if no plans pop up) Then ill be one step closer =) I wanna try setting it up on the last week of November. So i have lots of money/time to spend this next month...at least we have thanksgiving weekend!!!

Latest posts