Experience with Gold Flake Angels?

pookstreet

I would like to hear input from anyone who had kept or currently is keeping a Gold Flake angel in a reef tank. I am curious to find out if it is reef safe or not. What it likes to eat, etc. I would love to add a medium/large one to my 300 if possible. Thanks everyone.

Technically, no angels are "reef safe", however your mileage may vary......... :D

If you do decide to get one Kenny, let me know. We'll take a run to LA & you can pick out your own. I've always wanted one too.......

A quote I once heard "nothing is reef safe the question we should be asking is how much we value what they decide to eat". Angels in general are hit and miss but I have heard good things about goldflakes.

pookstreet

Hmmmm........I've had a Genicanthus watanabei for almost 2 years now and he's never nipped at any corals, even if I forget to feed him for a few days. As far as I know, angels from that genus are the only "reef safe" ones. BTW, I just picked up a female for him to play with :D

Thanks Steve. If anything, we need to meet up and chat anyways. It's been too long.

pookstreet

LOL Ariel........I value anything they may want to eat very much. If I get one, I will have to make sure the fish get fed more regularly so they don't have to eat the corals.

Sorry kenny but they don't seem to be that common in this area. And as for not having to eat corals that is never the problem when they start

pookstreet

Yeah, I was just wondering if anyone has kept them long termed and what happened. Well, I guess I may just have to give it a try some day soon.

you might try asking them here I think I remember someone asking about goldflakes a while back

pookstreet

I wouldnt chance it especially with all the awesome coral you have kenny
I know I would be taking a big gamble, but it's such a beautiful and unique fish that maybe it's worth the risk. I guess I can always try to trap it later if things don't work out.

pookstreet

Good to hear. I know it's sometimes a hit or miss situation but I am just trying to gather as much info as possible before making the plunge. Do you know if he keeps both SPS and LPS?

he keeps softies, lps, and sps. but mostly sps.
yeah i agree, it is a hit and miss with angels.
he does feed a lot though. automatic feed 2 times daily and then hand feeds at least once a day.

Latest posts