Increase guest viewing count

I'd like to suggest increasing the number of posts/threads a guest may view before blocking them. I think giving guests a little more of a taste of this forum will increase new membership. If using Limited Guest Viewing System, perhaps increasing the block count higher than the take-over message.

Just my 2 cents +

pookstreet

I agree. Guests would be more likely to be drawned in if they can read a few more pages. Perhaps being blocked so quickly may be a turn off. But we are all guessing and I don't think it would hurt to try it.

Frankly, it may be a moot point...
Until this website goes back to its original business model (the one that attracted people in the first place) you can expect a fairly significant drop in interest in SoCaliReefs. Pretty predictable that one; just track your hits on a line chart over the next few months. Sorry, to be the bearer of bad news

But what the heck.... what do I know? right?

Party on! :thrasher:

Now....who wants lemonaid?

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
Thanks guys for the reminder. Ive been meaning to do that for a while now...

MadMax: I will try to get this site back on track. Seems like the past few months it has steered of track, but hopefully we can get back to reefing.

I think I showed up a little late to the party so forgive me for asking... what was this site's original model that attracted people? I could only guess that it might have been to NOT be like R/C, but thats purely speculation.

Speaking from my own experience running a forum (motorcycles, not reefing) I can say that sites like these can start off in one direction and the members will take it in another. I finally just laid out a few basic rules and let the site take its own course. Having a good support staff of moderators and people who care about the site is key no matter what the model may be.

pookstreet

I can't speak for MikeEe but I came here because it's more of a local board for us SoCal reefers to hang out and get to know each other better. Yes, there are always ideals directions for all forums but as Ken said, most of the time, certain members will force your hand and a slight detour will be taken. Roll with the punches, as they say.

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
I can't speak for MikeEe but I came here because it's more of a local board for us SoCal reefers to hang out and get to know each other better. Yes, there are always ideals directions for all forums but as Ken said, most of the time, certain members will force your hand and a slight detour will be taken. Roll with the punches, as they say.
yes, Kenny was right. The motive of this site was to have a place for reefers to get to know each other better on a more personal level. Not only with other members but also sponsors. I believe with the chatbox and other things to do on this site, this will continue to happen.

pookstreet

And there'll be more fun and exciting things coming up soon. I'll be working on the details. So stay tuned! ;)

Plus, the users/members of this site have to help make things happen in terms of the original model for this BB. Simply allowing stuff RC might not, isn't going to cut it. Sharing info and experiences will help. Just my 2 cents, as someone that signed up a bit ago, but didn't really enjoy coming back much. Giving it another try now though...

pookstreet

Plus, the users/members of this site have to help make things happen in terms of the original model for this BB. Simply allowing stuff RC might not, isn't going to cut it. Sharing info and experiences will help. Just my 2 cents, as someone that signed up a bit ago, but didn't really enjoy coming back much. Giving it another try now though...
Glad to hear it. We'll do our best to make it your first choice when it comes to reefkeeping topics. I don't think we meant this site to be the anti-RC or anything like that. We have our own identity as being the board for SoCal reefers. You are right, every member of this site has to contribute positively to make it work. And the key word is "positive" contribution.

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
Glad your giving us a second chance Peter. The majority of us are here to help and have fun. I am sure every forum has their battles, and I think we have passed that now and can put that behind our backs and move on...
It was definitely a learning experience for me and things will no longer allowed to get out of hand.

Thanks guys for the reminder. Ive been meaning to do that for a while now...
Another reminder. :hello:
Any chance you could lift the limit? It's a PITA and discourages new members from joining.
I can't stand it when someone posts a link to an interesting read; you follow the link just to realize you have to be a member to view content. Screw it. :thumpdown:

Latest posts