My Clowns Have Ich !!! Help

HEY GUYS, I JUST PICKED UP 4 NICE BLACK/WHTIE PERCULAR CLOWNS FROM RON AT AQUARIUMS IN MOTION 2 ON SUNDAY. THEY WERE FINE ALL WEEK, BUT TODAY THEY ALL CAME DOWN WITH ICH. THEY'VE GOT WHITE SPOTS ALL OVER THEM. I WENT INTO PACIFIC REEF TODAY AND PICKED UP SOME "KICK ICH"... HOPEFULLY THAT WILL HELP. I WAS TOLD IT WOULD. ANYONE ELSE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS...

HERE'S WHAT I HAVE:

28G NANO CUBE

20 LB. LIVE ROCK

40 LB. LIVE SAND

2 GREEN CHROMIS (USED TO CYCLE TANK) 2 MONTHS OLD

4 (SMALL) BLACK/WHITE PERC. CLOWNS

1 CLEANER SHRIMP

3 SNAILS

4 HERMIT CRABS

SOME SOFT CORALS / SOME SPS FRAGS FROM MY PREVIOUS 12G NANO.

I HAD MY CORAL BEAUTY IN THIS TANK FOR 2 MONTH AND A MAROON CLOWN WITHOUT ANY SIGNS OF ICH. I BOUGHT THESE 4 CLOWNS AND THEY WERE REALLY HEALTHY. NO SIGNS OF ICH OR FUNGUS. OUT OF NOWHERE, ICH SHOWS UP. ANY SUGGESTIONS??? I'M TRYING MY BEST TO HELP THESE LITTLE GUYS OUT... I WANT THEM TO PULL THROUGH IT. I'VE WAITED FOR 4 MONTHS TO GET A HOLD OF THESE CLOWNS... THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR INPUT.

SO FAR, I HAVE ADDED 2 OZ. KICK ICH AS RECOMMENDED. I TOOK MY CARBON MEDIA OUT, AND TURNED OFF MY SKIMMER SINCE THE DIRECTION SAYS THAT THE SKIMMER WILL REDUCE THE EFFECTIVENESS OF THE MEDICATION. :bawling: HELP!!!

crex111

i treated my false percula's ich with a fresh water dip mixed with ich-attack. worked great!

Did you put the meds right into your tank? It's debatable whether or not that stuff is really reef safe. If you continue, proceed with caution. Your best bet is either feed the medicated food as advised or remove the clowns to a QT tank for in the water meds and follow the instructions. Good luck :)

crex111

i put fresh water with a few drops of ich -attack in a separate container. put the fish in it for about 3 minutes. put back in tank and the ich cleared in about 2 days.

thanks for your input guys... looks like the ich is starting to clear up a bit after the first treatment. they look 90% better today.

connor, i'm gonna look for selcon next time i'm at my lfs.

jon, i was told garlic was really good too. i was shown a tube of garlic paste that pacific reef had. was $21 for the tube. is that what you are referring to? someone else told me to finely chop up garlic cloves??? is that right or did i understand it wrong?

crex, i was contemplating dipping them but was wondering how? i'll give that a try if kick ich doesn't work.

barometer, i did add it directly into the tank... i do not have a QT tank. this 28g nano is all i've got. i'm certainly hoping for the best. to tell you the truth, i'd rather have these clowns survive at this point.

once again, thanks for your inputs so far... i will update you guys and let you know how they do.

you can chop up garlic, or i use the trader joe's all natural no preservatives powder, the fish go crazy for it when it hits the water, finely chopped i have heard fish sometimes ignore, or spit out.
the powder mixed with the food, once it hits the tank, they are in a frenzy and eat it up.

I've used garlic oil caplets (vitamin supplement) from the grocery store with success. Its really strong so I suggest using it outside. Take a caplet and pierce it with a pin, then squeeze the garlic oil over some food. Let it soak and feed to your fish. You want just enough for the food to absorb, not so much that you dump garlic oil into your tank. Also I'd suggest wearing gloves. The first time I used this stuff I got it all over my hands. I must have absorbed it through my pores because I couldn't shake the taste of garlic for a day!

Latest posts