So my rose split....

crad190

ya i was telling you.... that stuff is so hard to get rid off, all sat i was rippin it out and it just keeps coming back

Is that caulerpa taxifolia in your picture? If thats the algae you mentioned ripping out I hope its not going down the drain... I'm just sayin :p

If the algae you are trying to get rid of is the briopsis you can try raising your mg levels. There was a thread on RC about doing this and I found it works pretty good.

Last edited:

crad190

how can i tell the differnce between the 2, also no i'm not washing it down the drain......it gets the fireplace treatment! lol

ya it is the caulerpa taxifolia and what should i do to get rid of it?
Well when they found it growing off the coast of California they laid massive tarps over it and pumped chlorine inside killing the Caulerpa and everything else. I doubt you want to do that :rolleyes:

Your best bet is to tear out all you can. Besides being intrusive this stuff will go asexual turning to mush, and in turn pollute your tank.

Also I wouldn't pass it on to anyone else. Its illegal under California law.

Last edited:
Nope, its different than most algaes. It actually has a toxin inside that deters anything from wanting to eat it. I read about a certain slug that will eat it but I don't think its something available in the hobby trade. You need to just remove it the old fashion way, rip it out strand by strand. Might not hurt to run some carbon while doing so if its tearing since the toxin will be entering the water. I've never seen ill effects but why chance it.

crad190

ya well actually i am setting up another tank right now, and just using that tank to house my corals and fish untill my new one is ready, but when i can transfer them i'll get rid of all that rock

Nope, its different than most algaes. It actually has a toxin inside that deters anything from wanting to eat it. I read about a certain slug that will eat it but I don't think its something available in the hobby trade. You need to just remove it the old fashion way, rip it out strand by strand. Might not hurt to run some carbon while doing so if its tearing since the toxin will be entering the water. I've never seen ill effects but why chance it.
I have to disagree. In my experience, most common tangs, Blue especially will make quick work of this stuff. When it was legal I used to have to grow it in the sump to feed to tangs(because they loved it), they wouldn't let it grow in the display.

crad190

really you think that blue's will eat it? cause i know it's a nano but i'm at the point of either getting one of those or it taking over my tank.

I didn't realize it was a nano. A tiny blue would take a while and they stress so much in small tanks. Maby someone could rent you a Kole tang for a few days. It is however not as hard to manage as people have been made to think. Not that you should keep it but if you thin it out regularly it is easy to control. Not easy to eradicate every piece but easy to control imo.

crad190

well i've been picking it out for the past month or so, and i was just looking if something would eat it.