Where do I start !

Wannareef

I just set up a 110g tall 48X18X32,black stand and canopy, drilled with over flow box in the middle, also a 36x15x15, sump/refugium with a ASM g1 skimmer, rio 32h pump,2x250 mh lights, 2 96 watt power comact lights,24 led moon lights.120 pounds of dry sugar sand and 60 pounds of live sand,I have about 200lbs of rock, I got it from Ali @ amazing reef. It was dried out but I put in a couple of live rocks to help it get started,there is live rock in the refugium also, Tank looks great, I like the rock almost all the way to the top for big wall affect, happen to see a reef this way and like it better IMO. so here's the question, :dontknow:what's next after it cycles, fish ? coral? I like zoa's, sps. not to sure what others are called. how many at a time for corals. I was told I could put about 5 to 10 corals or frags and not change the water quality at all. any input would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
corals aren't a big concern as far as loading the system(waste). i would start with zoa's, they are easy and hardy. sps needs to wait a while longer your system needs to really stabilize, they are not as tolerant to change.
first off, i'd add a clean up crew, snails and hermits.
that puts a small load on the system, and helps clean any algae that does pop up
next i'd add a couple small fish, plan ahead, i wouldn't use damsels cause they get mean, they are cheap and hardy, but mean and hard to catch. chromis are a pretty good bet, hardy, and don't get mean.
that should help you get going for now.
good luck
jon

Wannareef

thanks Jon,
I'll start looking at a few Zoa's and get the cleanup crew to get started for now,appreciate the help !

I have the same size/shape tank! Nice choice...though gibbon arms would be nice, huh? :)

I would plan ahead and decide what corals you eventually want to keep. ie don't throw in a bunch of zoas in places that will eventually be filled with acros. Horizontal space is limited in this shape tank, so plan accordingly.

GL!

Wannareef

that's funny you mentioned the arms, I have a 3' pvc pipe, long thin stick and a spatchala on the end of the pipe that helped moved things around.
I'm looking at all type of corals to get a feel of where they need to go and look best in the tank, appreciate the info.

Latest posts