Tropic Marin Reef Pro Sea Salt Help please

Recently switched to tm reef pro and all my corals are going out of wack and ran into a lot of problems. First and foremost, there is no instructions on the box on how much to mix salt to water ratio, and at 2.5 cups the salinity is pretty low on my coralife hydrometer. I've been told to use a lot less salt when using tropic marin, but i ended up using more. 2nd problem: i got 2 different sg readings, one low one from the coralife which i've used for half a year, and a high reading from an instant ocean hydrometer. My torch coral started to look like crap. Could you guys please help me out with this one? Thanks in advance.

jason142

Premium Member
Supporter
I have been using TM pro reef for almost 2 yrs without issues. Although hydrometers are inexpensive they are not always the most accurate, as with your two different SG readings with 2 different one. First, I would get a refractometer, worth the price of security when you start thinking of the cost of some of the corals that we keep. I mix about 1/2 cup of salt to 1g of RO/DI. Also, you need to make sure all your most important parameters match from the tank to the water that you are adding. If levels are to far off it could possibly shock your system causing your corals to look like crap.

+1 on jasons explanation
I have used Tropic Marin and DD with zero issues for many years
I service many tanks each week

salt amount

so from what I'm hearing you're using about the same amount of salt like all the other brands? 2.5 cups? how many gallons would you suggest for water changes? It's a 12gallon nano

i would suggest mixing larger quantities at a time like 50 gals.,no matter what salt you use and prepare,make sure you aerate by having mixing pump break water surface
1/2 cup per gal is pretty close to correct ratio,just add more salt if needed

amnestia

Go to a LFS and ask them to compare your hydrometer to a refractometer. This will let you know what 1.025 actually is on your hydrometer. Most hydrometers start getting false readings after the first month.

My gf has a 12gal nano, we do weekly water changes of 4-5 gallons with no issue. Using D-D salt. Just make sure to bring it up to temp before doing a water change.

Also stir up the bucket. With each new bucket i pop out the bag containing the salt and roll it around and knead it for a good few minutes then poor it into the bucket. This gives you a more uniform mix.

Last edited:

Latest posts