Don't know what's wrong, please help!

I have a 60 gal, swc 160 skimmer, micron sock, icecap overdriven T5s (4x85 watts) heater and chiller, my parameters are weird...(using salifert tests, neptune sys ph and temp probes, and a marine depot refractometer)

Salinity: (.025)
pH is: 8.19
temp is: 77-80
no nitrates, no phosphates, and very little amonia
alkalinity is 9-9.25
CA reads 450 but I haven't dosed a thing
MG is way up there too, I went through my whole needle and it didn't change color...

I was cycling my tank for 6 weeks with three small pieces of live rock and the rest all marco rock that had been cycling in the guy's trash can with a heater and powerhead who I got it from...

I put in some zoa frags 5 heads total, they were doing just fine, opened right up, because the lights were on more and the season, temp rose, I put a fan on the back of the tank and the temp came back down...

I wake up the next morn to see the fan in the tank, "twitching" I ran and got carbon (in a sock, in a 2 little fishies reactor) Did a 50% water change then another 10 gallons 3 days later, no real improvement...

So I put them in a friend's tank til I can figure this out...I ordered a poly filter and plan to do a water change every few days...I have a few acan frags and a candy cane in my sump...they seem to be doing fine...???

It has been 7 weeks now...Please let me know if any of you have had a fan drop in your tank and what you did to fix it...why are the zoas not opening? also I have a few birdsnest that did not take well to my tank...Thanks a in advance...

I would get some seachem prime to neutralize anything that may be out of range, continue to test and watch temp

fran

sounds like not enough salt I know if there is not enough salt in the system nothing will come out

i think he meant 1.025 for the salt.... lol

the fan in the tank probably caused the whole mess... try doing more wc every other day to rid of whatever went in your tank.... also try that seachem prime stuff

i think he meant 1.025 for the salt.... lol

the fan in the tank probably caused the whole mess... try doing more wc every other day to rid of whatever went in your tank.... also try that seachem prime stuff
eXactly.

If his disolved salt content was 0.025 he should not be reefing. Secondly, more than likely it was the imediate shock that caused everything to go out of whack. I believe electrical current can do funny things to salt water and might even have the ability to change the compsition of it.

If in worst case your corals might just have been shocked for oh say 8 hours or so. find a buddies system and put them in there until they recover. Maybe try dipping them in Lugols incase any sustained damage due to the current. Corals are much more resiliant than people believe, esspecially zoanthids

Latest posts