water changes for sps tank

I have a mixed reef tank with mainly SPS, and I do a 25% water change weekly and have had GREAT success this way! I have even done 100% WC with no SPS issues, but ONLY using Topic Marin Pro Reef salt.

D

DETANE

I had an opposite experience with water changes. I would change the water every week and things would grow but slowly. Then I tried a different schedule, 3 month water changes and then things really began to take off in growth. I dont know why they began to grow so fast, but I did run a Ca reactor which may have aided partially in keeping CA, Mag,Alk in balance. Now I only do water changes every 4 months and dose CA-Mag-Alk manually until I pick up my dosser from Tom's .
I picked up frags less than a month ago from a couple of members, and the frags are already encrusting to the rocks I set them on.

ok a lot of different answers on this i was doing about 20% and it seems like slow growth in my tank but water is great..

hmmmmm well for me i started to change 10% every week until my tank matures then i only change about 15% once a month. my sps didnt start to encrust on rocks until the tank was older.

D

DETANE

hmmmmm well for me i started to change 10% every week until my tank matures then i only change about 15% once a month. my sps didnt start to encrust on rocks until the tank was older.
I guess that has a lo to do with it, Tank Maturity. My tank is new but I transfered everything over from my last tank (8 year established). maybe thats why my tank didnt need so many water changed. I do feed heavy twice a day, but I have a great skimmer and a large sump, GFO, Carbon, etc. I also picked my my dosing pump and my levels are staying on point. Every tank is different and has different equipment, different feeding, etc. It is hard to compare tanks unless they are the same.

10% weekly without fail for the past 3 months no difference from the 20% every 15 days, the major difference was when I added chaettomorphia the nitrates and phosphate levels were neutralized. Recently added a better skimmer well it still hasnt broken in...but its in hopes that my past skimmer wasnt right for my setup, my chaetto grew like crazy pointing me to the reasoning that I have dirty water even if my water tests say 0, I see better PE now that I dont do the A and B 2 part and now use the BRS stuff manually, seems my chases are with magnesium, alkalinity and towards the 4th day calcium, definitely want to automate my sytem with a dosing unit, I actually see how much the tank needs as opposed to testing then adding the setup takes in the same almost weekly now for the past 4 weeks. I am fairly new to reefing only 11 months now. I took over another guys established 4 year mostly softy tank with all hob stuff and when it leaked all over my house I changed the tank to a sump setup, okay life story here...sorrry to rant

D

DETANE

So now this is my tank after every 3 months having a water change. I do Dosing via dosser (MAG ALK CA).
These are just a few of the frags (were small when I got them or on plugs), now encrusting, growing.. But as i said before
"Every tank is different."

Yup. Im making frags of some already.

this is 6 months growth from a 2-3" frag. Now about 9"

Last edited: