Live Rock Pillars/Drilling demo

We recently did a demo for live rock drilling and pillar formation at the November South Bay Reef Society meeting. I personally got my information from a thread on RC entitled "Show Me Your Pillars." Since there has been so much interest in this topic, we felt that a demo would be a great thing to film, so here are the vids. Please feel free to post any questions or comments, or additional information that perhaps you have done with your own system.

Thanks Jojo (coral diver) for filming and editing!

Part 1:

Part 2:

ASommers

I didn't do pillars, but I did make a PVC frame that attaches to the back wall of my tank and drilled my rocks and attached them with zip ties to the frame. They were a lot easier to drill than I thought they would be.
Thanks for sharing

That's cool! I'm hoping people can adapt this info to their own needs. Simple up and down pillars are only a fraction of the possibilities. My main interest here was to show that one can use much smaller "backbones" than PVC, which in turn will require a smaller hole size, and allow the use of smaller rocks.

Yeah, well, a few members look a bit ghetto :D

J/K....

Hey Nick, you gonna help me install a net in the back of my canopy to keep jumpers in so I can buy expensive wrasses??!!

I did that same thing...only I was drilling on my porch (never even thought of using a styrofoam cooler top to drill into...i just hung it over the edge of my railing :D)

It really is as easy as it sounds and looks

Latest posts