Newbie going reef...

5ft24

Ok, I've had several months to sit back and look at things.
I originally decided to go FOWLR and go to reef later, but I would rather do it right the first time and just go reef...
I have a 75 gallon tank and stand, Eshopps 100 20 gallon sump, ASM G1 skimmer, And Sedra 5000A return pump. I also have an Eshopps 800 GPH HOB overflow, but would rather drill the tank for either a DIY overflow or other internal overflow...
I am looking to get a Hydor 300W in line heater as well...

I want to go with a shallow sand bed as well... For lights I am picking up a fixture (2 months old) with 2 10,000K and 2 Actinic PC's in it.

As far as live rock, I found about 80 pounds of live rock that has been kept "moist" in a styrofoam Ice chest for a couple weeks, and about another 80 pounds of non-live rock that has been dry for about the same amount of time... price is good, about $0.50/lb!
would this live rock still be live, or just wet dead rock by now?

Thanks!

you should budget some funds for a few pieces of live rock to seed your old base rock
most of the equipment you have will work for now, and you can always upgrade

I think that's not live rock anymore. you need to cycle your rock to keep it live.
If you need some free frags let me know. I have some for you to start. Pick up in cypress.

5ft24

Picking up my lighting and stuff tonight...
got a 48" fixture with 4 PC's, 2 10,000K and 2 Actinic... Less than 2 months time on them, a couple timers, a wave controller, bunch more electrics, and the 160 pounds of rock for 200 bills... Think I am getting a killer deal!
All I need now is a Hydor ETH-300 inline heater, substrate, salt, water and test kits...
What would be a good test kit to start with?

Oh Yeah... need to build an overflow...
Was going to use the in tank portion of the eshopps and drill it and the tank for a bulkhead to remove the siphon... but I think it's way too small...
5.75" wide and 2.125" across...

I would not use the Hydor 300W. You should use the Eheim Ebo Jager 300w. It is a much nicer heater and you can manually set the temperature of the water in your tank for more precise water temperature. But other than the heater everything else sounds good.

API is a good test kit to start. they are relatively cheap but not really accurate. if you dont have SPS API should be good enough. I have API test kit as well.

5ft24

API is a good test kit to start. they are relatively cheap but not really accurate. if you dont have SPS API should be good enough. I have API test kit as well.
I'll probably get that first... Going to do this thing SLOWWWWW...
Once it's up and cycled, I'll probably put a pair of clowns in for a while... I need to learn about corals more before I start adding any of them... by that time, I should have exhausted the ATI and bought something more accurate!