sps help

reefsUP

Ok so i move a bunch of sps lps into another tank i have a colony of tri color that is white at the base not sure if its spreading its been like that for a week or more now let me know what the deal is and if i should just frag it out before i lose the whole piece

D

DETANE

frag it as much as possible. put the frags in different places in your tank to see where it does best.

zigginit

dip the coral in iodine solution for 10 minutes. not pure iodine but tank water with few ml's of ioine in it. look it up first to make sure you have a good idea of what to do. iodine is an antibacteral substance that should help kill off the infection. thats why they use iodine for human surgery. do it soon because i have heard about it jumping from one coral to the other coral overnight. i lost a very nice sps coral to this not to long ago before i knew what to do. i would try and move it from the tank into a hospital tank with good flow. if it stops spreading for a week then i would say you fixed it.

reefsUP

ok now i am noticing it on a few other sps is it because of lighting? 8x54 bulbs are stocks flow is really good water parimeters are great and balanced?should i just go back to MH

D

DETANE

Since I switched to T5 some of my coral are getting lighter, but I hear it happens for a bit, then once they get used to the light they color back up.

reefsUP

looks like it to the skeleton on some spots i have crappy stock bulbs on the t5 i think i am going to go with 2x250 mh 20k over the 8x54 bulb will come around the same price

D

DETANE

Try raising the t5 fixture a few more inches. Also run 4 bulbs for about a month and add more bulbs every other week. The par on the t5 units is sometimes higher than mh. Crazy I know. But that intensity stresses the coral and causes bleaching from what I read and experienced.

Latest posts