salifert mag test. help..

does anyone use salifert mag. test, do they go bad after about 1 1/2 years? itssuppose to be the lastest i think. reason being i am getting some faulty readings. because my test tank water in vile, it turned from orange/pink to gray/blue at 0.04 almost at the end of the syringe, so to test the test kit, i made fresh salt mix from these salt mixes, and to see how much mg-3 took before the test water turned gray/blue.

reef crystals - 1.0 plus .34 = .66 remaining in syringe

tropic marin - 1.0 pllus .28 = .72 remaining in syringe

do these results look normal?? or is my test kit bad?

from further reading salifert says its okay to have air present in the rear of the syringe to make up the amount in the yellow tip area, so which should taken to do the test?

my test reading was;
1.00 - .04 = .96ml x 1500 = 1440 mg. test result

Last edited:

KrazyReef

I used the salifer to test my tropic marine pro last weekend. It was about 1050 as well.

Using the yellow tip, pull up to 1ml. The solution will be about 0.7-0.75.

It should be 1 "minus" 0.28 (reading when solution turns gray/blue) = 0.72 (this is not what remained in syringe, the remain in syringe should be below 0 and in the yellow tip by now). Take 0.72 x 1500 = 1080 ppm.

my reading of my tank seems fine, but when i tested the fresh made salt mix it took way to much mg-3 to turn it to gray/blue. most all of my sps is fine, but one old acan died overnight and one of fav. sps has a small white spot on it, resembling like rtn or something, so i started to test my water immediately and came up with mag test readings in accurate. another boo boo that i did last week was i lowered my mh 400w lights to about 9" from the normal of 15" to quickly so i might have burn some of them.

KrazyReef

I think tests on freshly made salt mix are usually give wrong results. I normally wait 2-3 days for eveything to disolve completely before I run my tests.
What is your salinity? Mine is about 1.025-1.026 on the salt mix.

Mine is at 1.24-1.025 I usually wait for 24 hours, but didn't wait that long
this time, about 6 hours, it was completely clear.

D

DETANE

Can somebody do a video and show us all how to do this correctly. I was under the impression that the amount in the yellow tip was already accounted for when you face the tip upwards to read the syringe.

KrazyReef

Actually the salifert has the expiration date on top of each box (it's like a price sticker). Aa long as it is not expired, I think it's still good to use.

guess time to pickup another set, only used it 5 times.. I did test again after a small dose of mg and it did register on the test, then be doubtful.

Latest posts