SPS feeding do or don't

Anyone with a sps dominant tank, are you feeding your sps or not? I was wondering if its
necessary to feed sps for their survival? If so, what are you guys feeding? I feed my tank
cyclop-eeze once a week, is it enough?

D

DETANE

I make a blend of seafood. also add amino acid, vC, and a bunch of other things. But yeah, feed them.

D

DETANE

Nope not needed. Pesonally I don't feed my corals anything. Just feed the fish and keep your tank clean.
They must feed off the extra food floating around after feeding your fish. Coral feed in the wild but they also feed off light source (photo), via your 400w lamp. :dontknow:

Seaside Tropical Fish

Premium Sponsor
Premium sponsor
Definitely feed your SPS. I feed Rotifers, Cyclop-eeze, and a powdered food like Reef Roids or Coral Frenzy, and Zeovit Aminos. Corals are surrounded by a veritable plankton soup at night and are eating constantly. The best growth and color will be achieved with regular feeedings.

D

DETANE

oceanography/biology classes i have taken say, "yes feed coral". But every tank is its own different eco system.

if you have alot of fish====fish poop====sps food

however i am a big believer of over feeding and over skimming so yeah feed as long as your water stays clean....

They must feed off the extra food floating around after feeding your fish. Coral feed in the wild but they also feed off light source (photo), via your 400w lamp. :dontknow:
I doubt it because all I feed is either Mysis or brine shrimp and both of those foods are too big in size for an sps polyp to consume. However, I do see the polyps grab the food but unable to eat it and it simply flys away. From my experience the foods that are targeted at feeding SPS have had no effect on my corals growth nor colors. So for the last year and a half I haven't fed any type of coral food.

But im open to trying out new things so if someone suggests a certain food ill definitely try it out in my tank. :top:

Feed my tanks several times a week a mixture of DT Plankton, Oyster Feast, and rotifers. I used to not feed my tank. I've noticed allot more growth and color in my corals since I started feeding my tanks two years ago.