question for calc reactor users

For those of you guys who have calc reactor setup, are you guys dosing anything else?
iodine? strontium? vodka? especially in a dominate sps tank..

Well yes and sometimes, cal rx is not the saving grace. You still need to test and monitor your tank usage of chems.
Regular water changes will help keep strontium levels within reach of minimal dosing

oh, don't get me wrong, i wasn't saying like the calc reactor is a do 'everything unit' for a reeftank, not that i have any problems with my water parameters. it was that i read an article sometime ago, regarding some elements are not so vital to be replensihed.

It's all good, wasn't trying to imply anything.

What is easiest to understand with regards to chems.
Your basic goal is to replenish everything that gets used by your corals, to NSW levels.
As your corals grow , they use those chems more aggressively, so you gotta give them what they used at the correct ratios.

Look up natural seawater levels nsw , for strontium
. If possible, test.
Now, dose the amount you need to get back to nsw

when i had my cal reactor running on my sps prop tank all i ever had to dose was mag 2 days a week and add buffer to my top off water.. had great growth and colors..

I'm using a korallin 3002 calc reactor and adding mag, strontium as needed, but my sps had better growth when i was using 2 part/bionic.

I used dolomite in my calcium reactor to replenish lost magnesium. I use additives only to correct levels (occasionally) I haven't dosed anything on a regular basis in over a year (just water changes).

I used 2 part before that with a doser. Was just as good, but my demand outgrew what 2 part could provide (without spiking the PH too high). It was only then that I switched to a Calcium Reactor.

- MikeT

huale768

I used dolomite in my calcium reactor to replenish lost magnesium. I use additives only to correct levels (occasionally) I haven't dosed anything on a regular basis in over a year (just water changes).I used 2 part before that with a doser. Was just as good, but my demand outgrew what 2 part could provide (without spiking the PH too high). It was only then that I switched to a Calcium Reactor.Well yes and sometimes, cal rx is not the saving grace. You still need to test and monitor your tank usage of chems.
Regular water changes will help keep strontium levels within reach of minimal dosing .Your basic goal is to replenish everything that gets used by your corals, to NSW levels.As your corals grow , they use those chems more aggressively, so you gotta give them what they used at the correct ratios.

Latest posts