B-Ionic Seawater System

5ft24

I know that opinions on what salt is best are like buttholes... Everyone has one LOL
BUT (no pun intended... Or was there???)
Has anyone used the ESV B-Ionic seawater system?
The few reviews I have seen people have said it made a HUGE difference...
Price is pretty comparable to most premium salts...

Marine depot has it for 20.99 for a 25G box, 25.99 for a 50 G box and 67.99 for a 200G box...

It's a 4 part mix...
sodium chloride - dry
Magnesium Sulfate hexahydrate - dry
anionic minerals and elements (pre-dissolved liquid)
Cationic minerals and elements (pre-dissolved liquid).

Instructions show how to mix from 1 gallon all the way to 100, and by adding amounts, you can get everything in between...
Checked out some pictures of it being mixed in a glass tank... Sodium chloride dumped in, in 3 minutes the water was totally clear and all salt was disolved.
Magnesium Sulfate dumped in, another 3 minutes and it was totally dissolved and no residue...
2 liquids dumped in about 2 minutes apart, no clouding, no precipitate.
after about an hour, to be brought up to the temp of this guys nano, he did a 95% water change...
Comments posted below say others using it the same way had no corals close up or slime...

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/01/14/b-ionic-seawater-system-is-a-microbatch-salt-mix-that-is-perfect-for-nano-reefers-large-tanks-too/

oh yeah...
When mixed to 34ppt, 1.026sg, it advertisies at, and is actually been tested almost dead on to these numbers:
450 ppm Ca
3.25 meq/L Alk
1400 ppm Mg

Last edited:

5ft24

I'm only about 15 miles from Marine depot, so I do all my shopping there as will-call...
It's on my way home from work (60 miles from home!)

Last edited:

5ft24

I needed 15 gallons, so I put 15 gal of RO/DI water in my rubbermaid tub.
Looked at the "recipes" and added the amounts needed for each from the 5 and 10 gallon rows.
Added the sodium Chloride first. Took about 4-5 minutes, water was CRYSTAL clear, no undissolved salt, no residue. Added the Magnesium Sulfate... Same thing... within 4-5 minutes, it was perfectly clear again.
added amount from bottle A, and it disappeared instantly, let it circulate for a minute, then added amount from bottle B.
same thing...
put my heater in it and let it circulate until it got to 78 degrees... Pumped 5 gallons into a bucket and dropped my Hydrometer in (Glass with the thermometer built in... in Pure RO/DI water it floated at 1.000)
exactly in the middle between 1.025 and 1.026...
Took a sample up to the LFS and had them use their refractometer on it... 1.0256

poured the 5 gallons back in and let it get up to 80 degrees... Getting ready to do my water change...
here are pics of the kit, and of my Hydrometer.

5ft24

The corals and the fish had no problems with the new mix... All the zoas stayed open and actually opened further within about 15 minutes of adding the new water... the pony corals puffed right up and the green toadstool I have NEVER seen this green!!! it's polyps are VERY long and happy!
The fish seem to be a bit more active as well... we'll see longterm how this does...
Still have to get pics up...

5ft24

Did a 10G WC saturday... Again, Corals had no issues and are happy!
None closed before, during or after the water change!

5ft24

Decided to look at SG while mixing after each step...
20G RO/DI 1.000
after sodium chloride 1.025
after Magnesium Sulfate 1.020
after Liquid elements part A 1.024
after Liquid Elements part B 1.025

Params on freshly mixed batch:
SG 1.025
PH 8.2
Alk 9
Ca 460
don't have a mag test kit.

Latest posts