chillers questions for 20 gallon reef

chun3rd

i found several chiller i have in mind. but not sure which to get. need some opinion from nano reefers. JBJ 1/20 chiller, pacific coast CL85, and coolworks iceprobe. I am very curious in how the iceprobe work and if it really makes a different in a 20 gallon. which of three is the best? The pacific coast is a heat and cool system. and it is cheaper than the JBJ. but jbj seem to have a better name.....and iceprobe...............iono if i can trust it.

RyanLab

I have run an IceProbe on my 12 gal. nano, and it does a good job maintaining temp..my nano has the 96w PC upgrade for what its worth. so i like the Ice Probe, but you have to drill a hole to install it and purchase the temp. controller..this could get expensive. Then there are the PCI and JBJ chillers. i like these units better as they are more reliable in larger tanks. keep in mind, the PCI is made in China...and this means cheapo compressors and fan motors..(my first chiller was a current usa, it was so quiet, i almost overheated my tank and chiller unit when the fan motor went out after six months)...i dont know where the JBJ is made, but when it comes to the 1/20 hp chiller market, there is not too many options. so when buying a refrigerint type chiller, quality is a small price to pay for. hope this helps.

I have the pacific coast CL85 and for 200 bucks, its does a really good job. I have a 24 gallon dx and my tank would get to about 86 in the summer with the lights off. once i hooked it up i could keep it at 82 with it turning on for about 5-10 minutes every hour. I believe the chiller is only rated for up to 20 gallons. 4 extra gallons makes a lot of difference in So Cal where we get temps of 100+ daily. It also eliminated me from having to add a heater because when the temp drops more then 2 degrees either way it kicks in to even it out. Im looking at getting a 1/6 if i ever get my 60 up and running. Plus i've heard alot of good things about them on the reef tank(other forum) and from people at the LFS say that the JBJ's temp controll stops working. hope this helps PM If you have any questions

i just bought a reconditioned 1/10 chiller from current for $149!!! comes with a 90 day warranty. check out their auctions on ebay. everyone who has bought one seems really happy. i'll update you next week when i get mine delivered!

ok, got mine delivered yesterday. paid for it in the morning through paypal and i was at my door step in the morning. talk about fast shipping. anyway, the chiller looks and works just like new. came in it's original packaging, had it's original hardware, and works flawlessly. great buy @ $149 for a 1/10... i gotta admit, i had my doubts when i first bought it, but now that i have it, it's one of the best savings i've found so far in this hobby. i almost paid $399 for it last week at the lfs.

if anyone is interested, check out ebay id: currentusa .... they have a few up with a buy it now price again. if you live near vista (san diego) they allow local pickups so you don't have to pay the shipping on it!

nanoboy, question just out of curiousty, wouldn't been wise to get the next size up, just in case you might have the urge to get a bigger tank, or more lighting?

that's what i did. my tank is only a 28g. the chiller i bought is rated up to 70g. my next tank is probably going to be a 60g . that's why i went with this one. i figured, if i do go bigger and go for a 100+g and need to get rid of this chiller, the 1/10 will appeal to a more people rather than the smaller 1/20 or 1/15 that i intended to buy for this tank. but like i said, at $149 straight from the maunfacturer, how can you go wrong.

does it matter where you have you chiller at? I have a spot for it under my desk but will it get hot under there? does it need some sort of ventilation?

ventilation is very crucial for the chiller to work properly. you can have it under you desk, but it can't be an enclosed desk... air needs to be able to get sucked in from the front and be blown out the back.

Its not an enclosed desk. Im asking because in the summer, sometimes we have the windows closed during the day so basically it will be sucking up warm room air. Will a 1/15 or a 1/20 cause much more heat into the room? I have a 6 gal NC that i am thinking of setting up a chiller for before the summer. Does anybody know if I can use a minijet 606 to run the 1/15 or 1/20 chiller?

I used a mj1200 for my 1/20 JBJ when I had it running. Depends on where you have the chiller placed and how you have it plumbed.

I used a mj1200 for my 1/20 JBJ when I had it running. Depends on where you have the chiller placed and how you have it plumbed.
i will have about a 3 1/2' hose going down to the chiller and a 3 1/2' hose return. I dont know if i can place a maxijet in my compartment with my other pump and heater in there.

Latest posts