home made sump

R

reefer714

Looks pretty good, except I would add a baffle where the water overflows from the fuge and from the main inlet to help control bubbles. Also, with a return compartment that small an autotop-off is pretty much a must. What is that feeding the fuge?, If its a uv I'd say ok, if its a media chamber, like phosban or de-nitrate, or a skimmer I wouldnt feed it with that. And where's the skimmer going?

And out of curiousity who would that be in ur avatar?

I'm sure reefer714 will chime in with his recommendations, master of all sumps fuges and the like

I wish i could help. But my computer did not show the pic. i will take a look at it tonight one i get home. BTW, i am not the master. I just like to try new way of doing thing......

Raskal311

Not too much from for back flow, I hope your not going to depend on a check valve if the power ever goes out. If you do at least use a Y check valve. Personally I wouldnt go with this particular design.

smooth

It looks good except I'd take that fuge out and make it remote...leave more room for water when the main pump turns off.

thanks for the inputs. i'm gonna sit at the drawing board and to some trial and error just to see what happens.
the skimmer is whats bringing water to the fuge, then the fuge flows back to the return chamber.

oh, and the avatar is my hottie wife, that i must keep happy to stay in the hobby.Goldfish

The skimmer will not be happy in an area that the water level is constantly changing.

You will not be able to adjust it properly.

And you will want to increase the size of the area that is pumped back to the tank, or you will be constantly adding water for evap and or 'cycling' the evap water pump too often and it will get older faster...

good luck

bill

critmin

Steady water level for a skimmer does wonders! Why not switch the location of the skimmer with the live rock rubble (assuming those grey round things are olive rock rubble). Hmm, can you label the diagram? Also what kind of macroalgae is that in the refugium? Can I get some? haha, I kid.

Anyway, smooth you look awefully familiar. What happened on RC? I was asking about you but no one seemed to know why you had "moved on".

thanks for the info on the skimmer, that makes since, and i cant label it cause i'm not that good at computer stuff. but yes those are rocks. apparently my artistic talent speaks for itself.:laugh: i'm putting of the sump for a bit longer the tank i inherited broke, luckily it was empty. but i shall return to sump building, someday!

smooth

Anyway, smooth you look awefully familiar. What happened on RC? I was asking about you but no one seemed to know why you had "moved on".
I tossed my 2 cents in to a discussion where a handful of people were whining about their budget skimmers. And then a mod insulted me, I asked what kind of new RC BS that was, and I was banned for language and attitude ;)

critmin

Mods think they are god's, but we will show them, hahaha, yes mope54 we will show them!!!

Latest posts