mixed salt storage...

5ft24

I am assuming freshly mixed saltwater needs to breathe...
Mixed up 50 gallons (used RO/DI water). added about 4 teaspoons of Seachem reef buffer to get the PH up to 8.3 to match my tank (did this with the last batch as well with no issues...)
this time, because of the dust and some bugs that dropped in last time It sat in the open barrel, I took a plastic trash bag and put over the top and weighted it down to keep it from blowing off when the garage door was opened/closed. left the heater and pump in the tank keeping it circulating...
Pulled the plastic off this morning, and everything in the barrel had a slimy white film on it. Tested the water, and the PH was 7.0! calcium tested out at 400 and salinity at 1.024...
It was 8.3 after the buffer, calcium was 450, and salinity was 1.0255 right after the buffer dissolved.
the plastic had the barrel sealed... no fresh air in or old air out.
I put 2 airstones in the tank, one pump in the bottom moving the water, and another pump on the bottom with the outlet about a foot above the water splashing back down...
PH is coming back up... it's about 8.1 now, but Calcium and salinity are the same...
I don't have a magnesium test, and with the way things changed and whatever precipitated out, I don't know if I want to use this batch even if PH comes up to 8.3...
Anyone else seen this happen/Advice??
Thanks

5ft24

what salt mix are you using?
It's the B-Ionic... was fine last time, but left the barrel open... had bugs and dirt/dust in it after a week, so this time I capped it tight with the plastic bag...
I've kept this stuff in the open before for a couple weeks without issues.