effect of high calcium

Question for all you experts out there. I just came from my local LFS and picked up a couple of SPS's and I tested the water in the bag for calcium and the test result was at 520 using API tester. I then tested the water in my tank and the result was 820! My question is, what is the adverse effect on corals be it LPS or SPS from having calcium level this high?

My calcium level has been over 700 or higher for the past 4 months. I stopped dosing 4 months ago, and I haven't dosed anything since then. All corals looks healthy, all polyps on all of my SPS are all extended. Is my tank ok? Should I be worried for having such high level of calcium? Please shed some light on this. Thx

calcium

From my personal experience api test kits are not as accurate as elos,tropic marine or salifert. I would compare with one of these ,chances are its the api test that is off.

From my personal experience api test kits are not as accurate as elos,tropic marine or salifert. I would compare with one of these ,chances are its the api test that is off.
I thought about that as well but like I said I tested the water in the bag and it was 520 and mine was 820.

high calcium

I had a api, salifert and tropic marine test kits and the api was way off on the calciumit was showing over 500ppm when on both the tm and salifert it was at 380ppm.

I had a api, salifert and tropic marine test kits and the api was way off on the calciumit was showing over 500ppm when on both the tm and salifert it was at 380ppm.
Gotcha, I will probably take a sample of my water to the local LFS this weekend and have them test it for me. Thx triggerman71

zigginit

as long as you dont have percipitant or a "snow storm" going on i think you ok. i here thats what happens when your CA is to high

DETANE

GOD is good all the time.
Remember I told you that Epcot and Seaworld keep calcium above 500. your all good!!
The coral will slowly intake all the CA, just dont add anymore CA to your system. Trust the word of a Marine Biologist.

i keep my ca at 520-540 with no ill affects, other than super fast evap rate... i just wouldn't let it go higher than 550...

Remember I told you that Epcot and Seaworld keep calcium above 500. your all good!!
The coral will slowly intake all the CA, just dont add anymore CA to your system. Trust the word of a Marine Biologist.
I gotcha D:rock: I haven't added anything for about 4 months.

Well guys I think I figured out why my cal is at 700 or above sometimes. Thanks to THE JOEY from Reef Central, he was kind enough to let me come over his place and test his water with my tester to see if my tester accurate or not. We also used his tester to test my water and the results were the same with my tester. We tested for cal = 700, alk = 5-6 being low. So, we ruled out the tester being bad. He asked me what I use to top off my water and I said I get my water from the water store. He then suggested to test it for cal, so when I got home that's exactly what I did.

The cal level in the water was 280ppm! All this time I've been dosing calcium without knowing it lol.

My buddy Detane came over and tested my water as well with his tester and the results were the same. He also tested for mag = 1350.

Thx guys for helping me solve the mystery all I need to do now is find another water source for my top off. Brian, thanks again for the monti frags

Ok guys I did a major water change today. I changed 40 gal and tested cal and alk. Yesterday cal was at 720, today after water change is at 620. Alk yesterday was at 6, today after water change is at 8. Should I do another 40 in a week?

Latest posts