DIY 5 gallon sump. all suggestions are welcome

chun3rd

hi, i wanted to build a mini sump for my 20 gal tank. I dont want to deal with drilling since i am new at this and i am afraid to make a mistake. wat are some of the ways that you have found sucessful without drilling?

chun3rd

well, i need to be able to get the water into the sump and back into the tank. i seen my cousin drill a hole on the back of his tank so the water can overflow into the pipe leading to the sump tank on the bottom. but i am afraid to drill the hole like he did. is there another way i can get the water into the sump tank without a pump?

Doe5ia14

You will need a hang on the back overflow if you don't want to drill your tank. Then a pump to pump the water back up.

pookstreet

A sump does more than just move water around. Used properly, it can perform multiple functions. What are you expecting to accomplish will determine if a sump is right for your tank. A HOB filter is just that, a filter and some additional water movement.

do you guys think i should just get one of those HOB filter and modify it a little???
no, i think you are thinking using the filter pump to pull water from the tank, and then another pump to send it back, if the water coming out is faster than the water going in you will have a flood, they sell HOB overflows, or you can diy one, but the pump should only be in the sump pushing water into the tank, gravity takes it out of the tank.

chun3rd

WOW, u read my mind jon. it was a problem i had in mind too. but just not sure if it would actually flood it. If i am to DIY a overflow box how can i do it and kind of material i would need??? overflow box are just way over priced for me. if u have a design, u should sent me a blueprint lol.

chun3rd

i think the first one is more do-able. the second requires to much heating and bending. where can i get all these material?? I live by Tongs tropical. can i get them there?