SPS Bleaching

kingrb

Why? I did the research and it's not clean as to why.
Lost one the other week to bleaching in my big tank, took a look this morning and noticed another bleached out. so two down due to bleaching in the big tank.

I see in my Vodka tank one is starting to bleach.

I have tried in the past to cut well above the bleached spot and remount it on a different plug but never had any luck saving them. So it's to the point that i just let it die off.

Anyone else ever have success once bleaching starts?

kingrb

not sure? i don't have a test kit for Alk. everything else is good. N02, N03, P04, NH, and Ph.
no on the iodine. I feed the Big tank, PhytoPlan, PhytoPlex, ZooPlex, and Coral Accel.

iodine pretty important to add when first sign of bleaching.
get alk test and raise with buffer to 8dkh

i service tanks all day long .some are low tech .some have lotsa gadgets and high dollar equipment
no matter your set-up,you gotta get water parameters correct

well what is your alk levels at? It very important to check alk level when having acro's. what is your mag levels at?

iodine can be part of problem being part of you trace elements.

try to get this information
alk
cal
mag
pho4
nitrate

I just was talking to DR Tim about this and how the bio pellets work. very interesting on what your systems need and uses are.

Where is the RTN/STN starting? bottom to the top or top to the bottom?

kingrb

sounds like i need more testing kits to cover Alk, cal, and Mag. Just figured if my other 5 tests (N02, N03, P04, NH, and Ph) where all good then the rest should be fine.

It started at the bottom.
the SPS frag has been in my tank for over two months. plenty of light and flow. the last one bleached over night. the other 19 frags and two colonies are just fine.
The first one that bleached a few weeks back, i'm sure was stressed, it was originally mounted on it's side and came off the plug so i mounted it standing up and after three weeks it bleached.

iodine bonds with the oxygen produced inside the corals skin(through zooxanthallae photosynthesis),this makes the oxygen nontoxic to the coral and helps prevent bleaching.
the bummer is that it doesn't stay bioavailable in your system that long
your skimmer and carbon usually remove it easily
best is to dose iodine product daily or use something strong that stays longer like lugols

from Brightwell site:
"Presence of iodine is vital to hermatypic invertebrates because it is used to detoxify excess oxygen produced by zooxanthellae. This oxygen irritates sensitive tissue. Corals and clams that appear to shrivel or close under intense lighting are likely attempting to shade their zooxanthellae symbionts to reduce the rate of oxygen production. Iodide essentially bonds with oxygen to form non-toxic iodate, relieving the need to shield zooxanthellae and enabling the host organism to open more fully."

JOSE CASAS

Premium Member
Supporter
To me alk is one of the most important out of cal, mag. If it fluctuating or to low it will stress the coral out.

Btw when you say bleaching do you mean the whole coral is getting lighter or white? Or it is peeling?

kingrb

The one in my small tank i guess you could say it's peeling, starting from the bottom and moving up.

The one in my big tank, not sure? just happened overnight. didn't bleach because it's not white in color like you normally see when it bleaches, looks like for what ever reason it just died, so it's a light green color. but definitely no tissue anymore.

make sure that you do all this stuff slowly dont rush things it will make matter worse, you have enough information hear to get you back on track good luck

yeah ... if you did it correctly you need to never go below 7. but dont bump it up too quickly .... raise it by one point everyday if you can. a drastic change in your alk might just can the rest of you acros. i check my alk everyday at or around the same time and i have to add 60ml of alk b-ionic everyday just to keep it at 8-9. which im guessing is minimal to what some of the fellow reefers have to add daily

Latest posts