What Kind Of Canister Filter Do You Recommend???

Hey Guys. I'm Getting A Lot Of Floating Particles In My 28g Jbj Nano And Was Thinking About Adding On A Canister Filter To Clean It Up A Bit. I Was At Oc Tropical Fish In Buena Park And They Were Running A Similar Set Up To Mine With A Canister Filter. The Water Inside The Tank Was The Clearest I've Ever Seen In A Nano Tank. It's Literally Sparkling Clean!

Anyway, I Was Wondering What You Guys Are Running, How You Like It, And What You Would Recommend For My Tank. Here's How I Am Planning On Running It. I'm Going To Have The Water Drain Into The Canister Running Through The Chiller And Back Up Into The Tank. I Was Told That If I Ran It That Way, I Would Not Need Another Pump For The Chiller. The Only Down Side To That Would Be That If The Filter Gets Clogged Up, Then There Might Not Be Enough Flow To Shoot The Water From My Chiller Back Into The Tank... Do You Guys Think I Should Run The Canister And Chiller Seperately To Avoid The Flow Problem?

The Canister I Had In Mind Was The New Reacton 4 Stage Canister Filter With 5w Sterilizer By Jbj. It's Fairly Priced At $120 At My Lfs... I Will Be Running This With A Current 1/10 Chiller.

Thanks In Advance!

Last edited:

RussM

yOU sHOULD bE fINE rUNNING a cANISTER. iF tHE fLOW rATE oF tHE fILTER iS wITHIN tHE pROPER rANGE fOR tHE cHILLER, tHEN yOU cAN jUST dAISY-cHAIN tHE fILTER aND cHILLER. iF nOT, yOU'LL hAVE tO uSE tWO pUMPS.

iMPROPER cAPILATIZAION iN pOSTS lOOKS pRETTY sTUPID, dOESN'T iT?:D

yOU sHOULD bE fINE rUNNING a cANISTER. iF tHE fLOW rATE oF tHE fILTER iS wITHIN tHE pROPER rANGE fOR tHE cHILLER, tHEN yOU cAN jUST dAISY-cHAIN tHE fILTER aND cHILLER. iF nOT, yOU'LL hAVE tO uSE tWO pUMPS.

iMPROPER cAPILATIZAION iN pOSTS lOOKS pRETTY sTUPID, dOESN'T iT?:D
WOw, I GOt A HEadache JUst REading THis. FUnny THough. :reddy:

Lol .... I gotta habit of just typing in call caps and that's how it came out when i posted. Anyway, the gph on the chiller is rated at 300-700 gph max and the canister is rated at 198 gph max. Is this going to be a problem? I get conflicting info from every fish store i go into. The canister i am considering also has 2 larger versions as well. One rated at 250gph and the other at 290gph. Do i need to go that big for such a small tank? The smallest canister in the line up that i want is already rated for 100g tank. the other two are for 150 and 195 gallon tanks. How do i figure out the right flow rate for the two to be daisy chained?

Latest posts