Hydor Koralia 3 or 4 ?

Wannareef

I have a 110g tank, it's 48"LX18"DX32"H, with the return coming from the middle and split into 2 one on each side of the center overflow box,they face towards the sides/front corners, theres quite a bit of flow already, I put 2 400gph power heads about 2/3 rds down on each outside corner facing towards the front, I dropped in some food pellets to see the flow and it has quite a bit flow from the return, they went all the way around to the front middle, I did this on both sides and the same thing, I have a strong current at both ends and gets a little weaker has it hits the middle, not by much though, There is nothing in the back of the tank, the 175lbs of live rock is layered with flat tops or steps up to the top like a big wall, about 2/3rds up the back of the tank, all corals will be in the front and on thes steps, nothing will be in the back, now that read a long story, will Hydor Koralia help, am I doing it right, I planed this all out before I set it up and it seems to be right, now I'm douting myself, what do you think. before I add any coral

Rich

Last edited:

pookstreet

What types of corals are you aiming to keep? I think that will help in answering your question. Sounds like you already have pretty good flow. What kind of PH's do you have and how many GPH is your return? The Koralias have a wide gentle spread instead of narrow jets like most PHs.

Wannareef

Hydor Koralia

Mostly Zooa's, maybe a few SPS or clams, not really sure of the differeent type, I believe there rio 1100, not sure, there older ones I had laying around and I thought it couldn't hurt to add a couple more, I know the middle doesn't get asmuch of flow as the sides, but it does get some, I thought this would be a good place for ones that don't need much, because of the center over flow the rocks are shaped sort of like a w, the ends and center stick out but in between go back a little that might not get much, I tried to get it were some areas got a lot and some got medium flow and some of the areas got very little. Thanks for your help, I relly appreciate your advise, I would like to do this only once and not rearange things down the line.

little more info: I have 2 250w MH and 2 96w PC for lighting.

Thanks Rich

Last edited:
Zoas don't really need high flow. In fact, it'll make them close up. Moderate to low flow is good for most zoas/palys. Unfortunately, for most of us, doing it once and doing it right is really tough. We are constantly tinkering with different equipment and flow patterns to keep the corals happy. Luckily, PH's are easy to use since you can move them wherever you need them. Your best bet is to just see how the corals respond before making any more changes.

Latest posts