canister filter question

chun3rd

i am planning to get a canister filter for my 20 gallon tank. just wondering if the water being pump back create a good strong circulation or just drippy ones? i am thinking if i get one rated up to 30-40 it might have a better circulation. am i right or canister filter doesnt create circulations good enough for a nano reef? What brand does u guys recommend as far as prices below 150 bucks.

Depends on the canister, some can be quite strong. I wouldn't count on that for all your main circulation. You might be better off adding a small powerhead for more flow and the canister just as your filtration. Also, canister filters aren't always ideal for SW since they need changing often.

chun3rd

ok, well then what type of filtration system is ideal for nano tank? i cant only depend on live rocks cuz sometime when i have move some of my coral a lot of algae just flys everywhere. polluting my corals.

bghkoyama

I use the Marineland HOT canister filter w/carbon to polish the water in my nano about once a month. Easy to use and easy to clean.

hey, i got a hold of a used fluval 404 for my 28g nano tank.... i thought the bigger the canister, the cleaner my nano will be... to my suprise, the flow was way to high for this little tank. it literally blew my fish around in the tank. looked like a tornado in there. i would advise you to go with a small canister and save yourself the headache that i went through.

Latest posts