Advice for an SPS newbie?!

I just got my first metal halide fixture on my 12g almost-reef tank lol I haven't been using the light that much because I don't have enough corals to absorb it yet. But this weekend is the long awaited MAX and I plan on jumping into the world of SPS! So please anyone feel free to give feedback. What are some important things I should know about SPS that will help me keep them alive and looking pretty? ANY and EVERY advice is welcome :) lay it on me. Thanks guys. Oh and by the way I plan on probably doing a mixed LPS and SPS collection probably not SPS... Is that gonna be cool? Like I said you got a SPS newbie here lol

DETANE

GOD is good all the time.
And Money.. SPS love money.. The more you invest in your system the happier the SPS will be..

The best advice is to read, read, read. When youre done... read some more. SPS are the most delicate corals to keep. Typically SPS prefer bright light, lots of flow, low nutrients and stability. You should always make slow adjustments in a reef system. Try not to shock anything. Make sure you Dip everything you get before introducing it to your display tank. There are no real set numbers for SPS and everyone's system varies. Here are some numbers that work for me.

cal 400-420
alk 8
mag 1300-1400
salinity .24-.25
temp 77-80

Good luck!

Latest posts