Acrylic or Glass?

• Thread starter My Vette N My Reef Tank
  • Start date
i vote for glass. no scratches! :rock:
Well, not quite true. You definitely can scratch glass, especially Starphire. It's just harder to scratch than acrylic. The major difference is that you can easily buff out acrylic scratches with the tank still filled but very hard to do to glass. Not only is it hard to remove glass scratches, but you'll have to drain the tank.

3rd rock from the sun, looking to move. Will consi
You beat me to this post.

My starphire tank has a decent gouge down the center of it, and it's noticeable. I was going to try to buff it out, but since it's as deep as it is, there was no chance it would come out (anything you can "feel" with your fingernail is supposedly too deep to polish out).

Starphire (to my understanding) does scratch easier than "regular" glass.

So. There you have lots of different opinions and hopefully some useful information.

Let us know what you decide...

:top:

Well, not quite true. You definitely can scratch glass, especially Starphire. It's just harder to scratch than acrylic. The major difference is that you can easily buff out acrylic scratches with the tank still filled but very hard to do to glass. Not only is it hard to remove glass scratches, but you'll have to drain the tank.

bruce. that was great for the pros and cons i would have said the same info but not as well.
however i vote for acrylic. it will never leak,while glass can and will while your on vacation. a small child can throw a ball at a glass tank and it is finished. The flexibilty to mod a tank with acrylic is great as mention. The crazy thing is acrylic is almost double then glass in price. The brightness of an acrylic tank is the best much more clear then glass.

ok, that's what i meant... i had an acrylic before and i got rid of it because i kept scratching it. now with my glass, it's harder to scratch.

Latest posts