How do I get rid of this crimson red looking slime?

• Thread starter My Vette N My Reef Tank
  • Start date
M

My Vette N My Reef Tank

Any suggestions? It just keeps spreading in many parts of my Live Rock. Thanks for all help.

how old is your tank? its pretty normal on young tanks, but the best way to get rid of it, IMO, is to do a water change 10-20% every other day for the next week, it'll be gone by the 3rd change. now how to keep it gone, mind how much you feed, every time i had an outbreak it was due to overfeeding. every piece of food in your tank that is uneaten, is food for that slime.

You also should siphon it it out with a 1/2" tubing before/while doing the water change.
good point, sorry i forgot to mention that, you can also just fol it up and pull it out in one chunk off the sand bed. my nano is doing the same thing right now, it is because it is new sand, and has to establish itself and all the goodies to keep it clean.

wipe-this

Red slime is also triggered by phosphates. If you are using tap water or poor quality RO water, it will just keep coming back. Do the water change but be sure that you arent re-introducing phosphates back into your tank by using "bad water" for your water changes or top-off water. I had a really bad red slime algae problem a ways back and used Red Slime Remover. It works great and the red slime was gone within a week. The Red Slime Remover is supposedly "reef safe" but with any additives or chemicals, use with caution..... Also, it made my skimmer bubble over so turn off your skimmer for a while if you plan to use it.....

Phosphate sponge will remove any existing phosphates in your tank, but I recommend the natural way of reducing phosphates with frequent water changes until the problem has been handled.

Good luck!Goldfish

M

My Vette N My Reef Tank

My tank is approx 5 months old. Thanks for all the help everyone. I'll try the water changes and the red slime remover.

if you aren't overfeeding it is a somewhat normal maturing process of the tank, but water changes will take care of the problem as your tank gets through this phase.

Latest posts