Protein Skimmer

I currently have a coralife skimmer that is driving me crazy. It is way too difficult to adjust, and I have had it for a few years. I want to get a new one for my 95 gallon reef tank. Any suggestions? It will go in my sump, and i only have 8x8 in footprint space. Obviously I dont want to spend a fortune, but i have learned to get the better quality in the beginning (learned that the hard way). Thanks for any input.

Mine is just hard to regulate. It will be working fine, and then suddently start producing so much foam it fills the top and overflows out of the air hole on top. Then i adjust it and it either completely stops producing bubbles, or overflows again. It seems that sometimes you cant adjust it low enough. I would make sure that you usei it IN the sump, incase it runs over.

R

reefer714

The protein skimmer overflow or acting weird due to many reasons.

1. Something is in the water, feeding, water change or adding chemical or even when you stick your hand in the tank

2. Just start it low and slowly bringing the level up

3. If your protein skimmer is brand new, it need time to break in.

4. gate valves always work well with fine tuning.

wow...well is not that bad! the cpr2 bak-pak that came with the maxi-jet didnt skim at all...... i had to change the powerhead to rio800 now it is working really well but i have been seeing a lot of coralife around so i want to see what the hype is all about

i thought you posted something about coralife and the outcome was 50/50? than again if it doesnt work well i am going sell it

not familiar with that skimmer, but I second Steves comments about adding a gate valve to make adjustments easier, and when you do feed or add anything to the tank, you can take a quick look, make a quick adjustment and (come back in a hlaf hour to double check all is well), then go to sleep

critmin

Or a used euro-reef rs80. I use one and it's simply awesome. You should be able to find them used for about $150 if you look hard enough.

So, i ended up getting a rs-80 euroreef, which is working out very well. it is much easier to adust (you dont have to reach into the sump). So far, i like it much better. And it is easier to empty.

I have been running the new skimmer for a few days now. What a difference. It is removing tons of crud, and I have never seen my water so clear. It was well worth the investment.