Favia Help

I was just wondering what the criteria was to keep a favia. I got a nice one at MAX and now it's not looking very hot. I had it on the sand full lights. Decent flow. Now I moved it under a ledge a with a lot lower flow. Let me know. My alkalinity has be low though around 6 so i'm slowly moving it up. Calcium low too 350 and magnesium 1200. Thanks for the help!

I was just wondering what the criteria was to keep a favia. I got a nice one at MAX and now it's not looking very hot. I had it on the sand full lights. Decent flow. Now I moved it under a ledge a with a lot lower flow. Let me know. My alkalinity has be low though around 6 so i'm slowly moving it up. Calcium low too 350 and magnesium 1200. Thanks for the help!
Under a ledge with not too much light for mine, it came back from me melting it in the center if the sand!

They are very hardy, I have 5 of them. They like low light and low flow. When you feed your tank they will extend there tenticles and pick particles out of the water, I feed with reef nutrition phyto once a week and they seem to do great with that. I have mostly LPS and also all LPS love low light low flow.

Most LPS pieces are from the deeper reefs, not the reef crests, so they prefer less light. Softer corals are from even deeper and most SPS species are from the reef crests. Hence SPS like high light, high eratic flow. SPS like light so much, that in some parts of the world (Like In Fiji) the reef actually literally grows out of the ocean, when the tide goes out almost half of the reef is out of the water until the tide comes back in!

lol, a little history lesson. Sorry, I watch the learning channel, history channel and science channel too much!

they are very hardy... mine doesn't like strong lights... If I move it up, it loses color, but If I put it down near the bottom the color comes back

they are very hardy... mine doesn't like strong lights... If I move it up, it loses color, but If I put it down near the bottom the color comes back
Ya Rash, exactly. They tend to lose pigment as they get blasted more and more by light. Most LPS will change color based on the amount of light exposure.

I am not sure if this is science or fact, but from my observations of my own LPS corals. It seems that as they get more and more light exposure, they begin to get less and less color and more and more brown. Just like humans the flesh becomes more colorless and darker to protect itself from the sun's rays.

LPS corals do the same, if you have ever seen say an acan colony getting blasted by light, or a chalice colony that is getting blasted by light, they usually have a brown tinge to them. This is there sun tan, they are changing colors in order to protect themselves from the sun's rays, again just like human skin does.

If you take the exact same colony and put it in shade, or almost no light exposure, the colors will come back and they are usually much more vivid and crazier than ever. The lighter the colors (Reds, yellows, oranges) the more sun is allowed in to the tissue. The darker the color (Greens, blues, browns) the less light is able to penetrate the tissue and it protects the zooanthelae (SP).

Latest posts