SPS and a couple of 36 watt power compacts. Can it be done?

acroal12

I have a 28 gallon nano with two 36W power compacts. Can I do sps corals in my tank?

Thanks!

acroal12

Yeah, zoas do great. I need something that works with my lighting and likes high flow. Any suggestions?

G-Tank

Premium Member
Supporter
Torch is fine on high flow as long as it is swaying/random flow and not in one direction where you see all the heads going only left or right.

562Reefer

I had an orange/red monti cap on my 12g jbj's cf before during my early days of reefing and it was fine. Just the orange/red cap only because it's hardier monti compare to leng sy, purple rimmed, etc.

Do u have a budget to upgrade lights?.. like retro some evolution led strips under there n replace the pc?... or u could test out the PC w/ cheap sps frags... I'm sure someone on here will have a small test frag for $15... make sure the PC are fresh bulb at least n do water changes/supplement...

zigginit

sps will not grow in that light. they may stay alive maybe if your lucky but they will not grow at all. i had BIO cube 29 with 3 PC bulbs and i still could not get growth. i had some sps that stayed alive but not really grow in years. then i got new tank with T5 and boom they took off and grew fast in only 4 months.

it can b done, theoretically...

if you can find or make a parabolic reflector that focuses all 72watts of light on like a 1-2 inch strip such a feeding trough or planter box, then have the bulbs 1-2 inches off the water, and choose 1 daylight bulb, and the other 50/50, and have them on 12 hours a day, it should be possible.

definitely something you could post that would be interesting...