How to ship corals..........

as far as heat packs
i tape mine to a paper plate then tap onto one of the foam walls. seems to work ok for me, but i have shipped very lil.
Yep, just like at our "secret spot".....................:D

Trick to getting the heat packs to last is as follows:

1. Make sure you get the 30 hour heat packs. The ones that are sold at the sporting goods stores are typically good for 8 hours. Remember your coral will be in transit for at least 15 hours.

2. Open the heat pack up & expose it to air for at least 30 minutes so it fully activates.

3. When taping the heat pack to a paper plate, read the instructions on the back of the heat pack packaging. It will tell you to not cover the area between the red lines. Make sure you leave that part exposed, otherwise the heat pack will not work properly & your corals will arrive w/ 50 degree water (been there, done that).

IMO, these are the best heat packs made. Once I switched to these & used the above listed methods, I have yet to have any shipment arrive w/ cold water.

http://superiorenterprise.com/produ...-heat-packs(1-pack--10-units)&products_id=228

Steve :beer:

I would also like to know what shipping rates are most preferred and where do you drop them off. I went to FedEx Kinko's and they said to drop them off at their hub in Sante Fe Springs. I live in 90715 area and is there a specific place you guys drop off your corals?

So, I just wanted to add to this thread. Awesome, so detailed, not a point left out....except....how much it costs!! Ugh! I also crapped my pants when my shipping dept at work told me it was gonna cost $100 to ship my box priority overnight Fedex.

After more research, I discovered that it's all based on cubic inches, not weight (like I mistakenly assumed). I managed to get it down to a 10x10x10 box and standard overnight but it still cost $62 to get to Georgia. Yikes! Just thought I'd let shipping noobs like me know :)

And FWIW, people that complain about LiveAquaria's $35 shipping need to STFU!! :D :D

vision

reviving this thread.

Thanks for the info. Very helpful indeed.

Love those step by step procedures with side pics..

I use Fed Ex standard overnight unless the customer requests priority overnight. I drop my packages off at the Fed Ex hub in Santa Fe Springs. Deadline for anything east of the Rockies overnight is 5:30 PM & 7:30 PM for everything else. I usually don't drop off until between 5:00 & 5:30 PM, so the corals are in Fed Ex's possession the least amount of time.

I was wondering how you guys give the buyer a acurate shipping quote, Im thinking about shipping here in the near future.

Do you guys have a scale to weigh the package before you ship?

Do you package then weigh, then tell the buyer the price of shipping, and wait until they deposit the correct shipping amount plus cost's of corals into your paypal account before you ship??

How does it work?

I want to start shipping but I also want to give the buyer an acurate shipping quote so I do not have to put my own money on shipping if I quote the buyer the wrong shipping price

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
How do you seal the bags? From the first pics it looks like pookstreet just ties them