How to ship corals..........

pookstreet

The best way to shared this beloved hobby of ours and more importantly to protect our precious natural reefs is to trade and/or buy/sell captive propagated corals. That's easily done when the other reefers are close by. You can simply drive over or participate in a local frag swap event. But what happens when the other party lives in another state or just not cost effective to make the drive due to high gasoline costs? Shipping is usually the only answer. Of course, in our desire to shared these beautiful animals, we have to ensure that they are transported in a manner where they will arrive in good condition and viable. We have to make sure they are not overly stressed during the trip because they will be stressed. Harming them in the process will not help this hobby.

Described below is how I typically ship all my frags, whether they are zoas, LPS, or SPS. Of course, the techniques change a little as the weather dictates. I usually try to avoid shipping during the hottest time of the year or if I know inclimate weather such as snow storms are occuring on the route to the final destination.

If you have suggestions or a different method of shipping, please all chime in with your experiences. Thanks SCR Reefers!

1. The first thing is to line the box with 3/4" styrofoam. You can get a 4'x8' sheet from HD for like $8 or so.

2. If a heat pack is needed, it is taped to the lid to keep it away from the frags as much as possible. I want to keep the interior warm, but don't want the heat pack to come in direct contact with the bags and heat up the frags.

pookstreet

3. The coral frag is then rolled up in a smaller bag with slits cut into the sides to allow water to get in or slipls of a cut up bag as cushion.

4. It is then double bagged with some water. I tend to use as little water as possible to keep the overall package weight to a minimum. It also prevents the frags from getting tossed around inside and be damaged.

pookstreet

5. I usually put 2 more bags on top of that. Bags are cheap compared to the cost of the frags.

6. All the frags are snuggly placed into the box.

pookstreet

7. Fill up the remaining space with peanuts, bubble wrap, empty blown up bags, etc. so they won't move around during the trip.

8. And the lid goes on. Voila. Another package on it's way.

pookstreet

I know there are many variations to shipping frags. This is just how I typically do it myself. I've received frags shipped with lots of water, no water (damp shipping), attached to styrofoam so they always float upside down, etc. It's all a matter of confidence and comfort with how you want to do it. Personally, I've had less than 1% DOA from shipping out hundreds of packages. Most DOAs were due to shipper errors when they don't arrive on time.

Now, let's hear what others have to say........

I love this method. The only thing that I would personally do different is have the bag of water in a plastic cup to keep its shape and have a consistent water column. That is to say if you dont have compressed air. You ship basically the same way as LA, and I have had great success with them. I ordered some berghia from saltycritter a while back and they used the cups, I thought it was a nice edition.

pookstreet

I love this method. The only thing that I would personally do different is have the bag of water in a plastic cup to keep its shape and have a consistent water column. That is to say if you dont have compressed air. You ship basically the same way as LA, and I have had great success with them. I ordered some berghia from saltycritter a while back and they used the cups, I thought it was a nice edition.
Thanks. I've actually seen an online retailer ship using a cup, but it's a specimen cup :rofl: I've never added oxygen or compressed air. When I bag, there is only a little bit of air gap above the water. And wrapping the frags basically prevents them from rolling around and getting damaged. I am also wary of the hard container being a problem. But, as I said, everyone is comfortable with how they ship. We are just trying to present all the different ways here and talk about all the pluses and minuses.

Last edited:

pookstreet

nice demo Kenny. Only thing different I've seen that I liked (and was mentioned) is the upside down method. But I've had great success with coral shipped to me, no DOA's yet :)
Thanks. Yeah, the upside down method is definitely a good way to go. The only down side is it's dang heavy because of the amount of water needed. I can usually ship up to 6 frags for under 2 pounds :D

???

How do you determine what needs a heat pack and what needs a cold pack? Is it just the time of year you ship?

Great post and very informative!!

pookstreet

How do you determine what needs a heat pack and what needs a cold pack? Is it just the time of year you ship?

Great post and very informative!!
For me, if the ouside temp is 50 or below, I would put in a heat pack. Remember that in the belly of a plane way up there, it's even colder. I don't usually use a cold pack b/c they don't last that long. When cooling is really needed, it's already melted or not effective. That's the reason I avoid shipping during the hottest times of the year. In the end, if the box is well insulated, it should be ok.

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
I remember receiving a package from you Kenny, and the first thing I thought was, man this is some good wrapping

as far as heat packs
i tape mine to a paper plate then tap onto one of the foam walls. seems to work ok for me, but i have shipped very lil.

i have also used small gladware cups....
(1/2 CUP / 4 OZ) mini-rounds.... they are great for fresh cut frags. you can stack them in a box and they also help insulate.... the lids lock tight and there is no worry of puncture or tear...