Reef Aquarium in West LA

WayneL333

I was driving east on Pico in West LA and I happen to see a lfs I never noticed before. It was called either the Reef Aquarium or Aquarium Reef. Needless to say I was excited just by the name of the place; I had to stop by. It was a tiny store. Not much more than a few display tanks with mostly LPS, Softies and a nice rose nem. Nothing much else.

Not really worth trip or time.

WayneL333

there were no prices anywhere. it was literally like going into someones' garage with like 4 or 5 different tanks setup with all softies and lps. the largest tank was probably 200 gallons and the smallest was probably 2 or 3 nanos.

+ 1 on wanting a decent store on the westside. Age is probably the closest one.

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
if it was really profitable i would open a store but everyone and their mom has access to wholesalers and stuff like that. no point.

if it was really profitable i would open a store but everyone and their mom has access to wholesalers and stuff like that. no point.
I dont know...I mean customer service goes a long way. The two stores on the west side dont even aknowledge me when I walk in. I have to beg someone to help me. Plus they charge $65 for a single head of frogspawn. No selection. Seriously if someone opened up a store that did not have tanks of boring brown lps corals, was nice to customers and had decent prices I think they would do very well.

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
wishful thinking hahahahahaha
I dont know...I mean customer service goes a long way. The two stores on the west side dont even aknowledge me when I walk in. I have to beg someone to help me. Plus they charge $65 for a single head of frogspawn. No selection. Seriously if someone opened up a store that did not have tanks of boring brown lps corals, was nice to customers and had decent prices I think they would do very well.

i went in there. the guy that runs that little store is cool. he seems pretty knowledgable. he keeps saying he's going to get more stuff in there but it just stays the same lol

A lot of pretentious snobs on the west side IME that own reef shops.

I don't know how hard it is to compete with MD but a small shop with a great human being behind the counter will get return business all day.

Sadly the lil shops sometimes lack the attention of detail of today's reef aquarists needs and wants.

The fact remains unless your in the business it's hard to say how they turn a buck. I hope they make decent money. Some have to be making loot cause I was upsold nasty when I started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk