what is a good way to keep sand algae free?

chun3rd

i have a lot of algae growing on my sand after my diamond goby got sucked up into my powerhead. i am not using anything chemically to reduce my phosphate lvl right now since i dont like messing with too many solution at one time. wat are some good ways to keep it nice and white? chemically or manually.

I would first identify the source of your algae problem. What water are you using and do you tend to overfeed? How often do you water change? Flow in the tank?

chun3rd

i only feed my clowns once a day. and i do my water change once every one and a half week 20% and have a koralia 1 in my 20 gallon. i tried using turkey baster to blast the sand. it works great but it only work temporarily.

danyen

as above. The nutrient levels are most likely too high in your tank. The easiest way to deal with that is to introduce less nutrients (feed less) and to remove as much wasted nutrients as possible. Take that turkey baster or a powerhead and blast the rocks before your water change. Stir up the top layer of sand. If you have live rock with nothing on it, shake it around int the tank or a bucket of SW to remove detritus. Bottom line, get as much crap suspended in the water before doing your water change.

When you add FW, only use RO... preferably RO/DI. Our tap water is way too crappy to just throw into a tank.

Also, if you are feeding frozen, which I recommend, thaw the food in RO water before feeding. I thaw mine in water and then use a kitchen strainer (fish nets work well too). That water is loaded with nitrates you don't want in your tank.

HTH

Last edited:

therapy

Also, if you are feeding frozen, which I recommend, thaw the food in RO water before feeding. I thaw mine in water and then use a kitchen strainer (fish nets work well too). That water is loaded with nitrates you don't want in your tank.

HTH[/QUOTE]
Good suggestion. I use the water from my tank, and add forzen food to that.

Latest posts