kalk reactor and calcium reactor

what is the difference, in function, reason, do you use both, or just one?
what medias do you use?
i know ca reactors use co2, do kalk reactors need anything?
thanks for the info
jon

Yinger

jon, kalk reactors use kalkwasser to add ca and alk and CA reactor uses crused corals or media dissolved by co2. you don't need both, but people typically use kalk reactors to offset the low pH caused by ca reactors because of the excess co2. both will add alk and CA to the tank. did i miss anything? sorry had a couple glasses of wine...

ok, more questions.
how would you control the dosing on a kalk reactor, to keep the calcium at a solid, say 450? is it just based on what can dissolve? i am considering running something to keep my ca up so my wife doesn't have to do much "work" on the tank. if either of these would be too much "work" for her let me know and i'll give up.
thanks again
jon

Teh Aquamedic kalk reactor is pretty much plug & play once you figure out how much your tank needs. I'd use a timer to control the amount of kalk introduced into your tank. Also kalk has to be mixed w/ ro/di water, not saltwater. This is the reason lots of people, myself included, use their kalk reactor to supply thier top off water. I'm using an AQualifter pump to dose my kalk so I don't get a huge amount dumped at one time. Using a kalk reactor, I've been able to keep my ph around 8.25-8.4 which I could never do before.

I run both. The kalk reactor is easier to set up and maintain but it does need some maintainance, such as when the kalk powder is depleted. The Ca reactor is harder to set up and tuned. But as Kevin said, it is easier in the long run once it's TUNED properly.

I would suggest running a kalk reactor for you because it is simpler. The dosing rate is something you'll just have to play around with, much the same way as the Ca reactor. However, as with any mechanical contraption, things can malfunction, especially when you aren't around.

Don't know what's considered too much "work", but you may want to just do the 2 part so things are "less" likely to go wrong. Plus, if you Ca and Alk demands aren't that high, no need to either reactor.

reef_doug

Ca reactor will add Ca, Alk, Mg (consider supplementing ZEO Mag in the reactor) and trace elements. Draw back is the residual CO2 can cause low pH.

Kalkwasser will add Ca, Alk, percipitates Phosphates, and raise pH. Drawback is no Mg and no trace addition which are not big issues due to w/c and supplementing Mg (Mg Sulfate & Mg Chloride solution).

Many people use both, they do supplement each other. Kalk can be added very easy by using 2 tsp p/ gal of RO/DI. Shake and cover, let settle overnight. Pour the top 3/4 gal into a Kent Aqua Doser. Try to avoid the residual solids, though no harm would happen if the solids do get in there. Sometimes Kalk reactors may stir up the solids, thus I prefer the manual mixing and drip at night method. Cheap and effective!

If you had to pick one of the two methods, I would go with Kalk.

I just use aKalk drip and supplement DIY two part when needed. I have excess indoor CO2, so I didn't want to go the Calcium reactor route.

By the way, Randy Holmes-Farley does not use a Ca reactor, only Kalk and Two Part w/ Mg supplementation.

Last edited:
thanks for the info guys, i think i am in a better understanding now, i knew ca reactors fairly well, but had no idea about kalk reactors.
thanks again
jon