bulkhead on drum leaking....

Im trying to install a bulkhead on the bottom portion of a 55 gal drum. I have a sch 80 bulkhead and i put the gasket on the inside. After i hand tightened it i gave it an extra 1/2 turn with my wrench but im still getting a leak. After alittle more tightening it still continues to leak. What am i missing here? Do i need to use silicone or something else?

Silicone wouldn't hurt. Remember the gasket goes on the flange side of the bulkhead fitting and that part goes on the inside. If it is too close to the bottom, you won't be able to get the side to lay flat.

ok, i have stopped the leak by putting a gasket on the outside and the inside of the drum. Will this last or am I just going to get a leak later on?

Yeah i fixed it, I apperantly overtightened the nut the first time and messed up the gasket. I got another gasket in there and its holding water. Funny thing is, when i got the new gasket in i got a leak from my reducer fitting because i overtightened it also. The lesson learned is that i should follow all the peeps advise when they were saying not to overtighted the bulkhead. Oh well. I picked up 50 gal. of NSW from steve last week and i dont have to worry about lugging 5 gal. buckets around town anymore. Now i need to work on my RO water drum and get that all set up.