Newbie stocking a 100 gal corner tank

Hi Guys!

I'm awhile from actually putting livestock in my tank but I want to get start the research now. I'm starting with a FOWLR tank but may eventually add some soft corals. I've got a 100 gal corner tank (just finished resealing it today.) I'm going to use the Berlin method for filtration. I'm looking for suggestions for easy to care for, colorful fish with personalities who don't nip at corals. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Welcome to the SocaliReefs! Well start simple with the fishes, once you get the hang of maintenance with the tank and your water parameters are good you can decide the type of theme going with the tank. Colorful fishes come with high prices, some eat corals, and some can release toxins. Also its good to start with a fish you know you want to keep or else it will be a pain to catch. Try and research which fishes are territorial so you know which kind of fish to add first and last. Other than that best fishes to start off with will be a pair of clown fishes.

ya def add clowns first..Ocellaris are cheap and hardy..i made the dumb mistake of adding chromis cuz theyre cheap and i just spend like 1.5 hrs yesterday trying to catch all 5 of them cuz theyre so boring and took up to much room in my tank...def plan out which fish u want..alot of fish i bought were spur of the moment and now i regret buying some of my fish...also Tangs are really nice and colorful fish..just be careful because certain ones will fight with other tangs...if ur doing FOWLR get a small Porcupine puffer they have a really cool personality...and if its small enough it shouldnt mess with clowns or other fish

ya def add clowns first..Ocellaris are cheap and hardy..i made the dumb mistake of adding chromis cuz theyre cheap and i just spend like 1.5 hrs yesterday trying to catch all 5 of them cuz theyre so boring and took up to much room in my tank...def plan out which fish u want..alot of fish i bought were spur of the moment and now i regret buying some of my fish...also Tangs are really nice and colorful fish..just be careful because certain ones will fight with other tangs...if ur doing FOWLR get a small Porcupine puffer they have a really cool personality...and if its small enough it shouldnt mess with clowns or other fish
chromis are interesting in small groups with at least 3.....if u want colorful look into fairy wrasse, tangs, if u have a spare tank u could attempt angels, anthias, clowns of course, gobys, dragonettes later on, and im sure there are tons more im missing....just whatever u do, stay away from damsels.....

chromis are interesting in small groups with at least 3.....if u want colorful look into fairy wrasse, tangs, if u have a spare tank u could attempt angels, anthias, clowns of course, gobys, dragonettes later on, and im sure there are tons more im missing....just whatever u do, stay away from damsels.....
I hade my demsel sence I got my 1st tank if u have one is cool

pgr11

Supporter
My wife has done a ton of research online and in book. Since your just getting things set up now is the time to research. Im new as well and I have a blue tang, yellow tang and a 6 line wrasse. Clowns are coming soon. Have fun and enjoy the fish you do get.

Like almost everyone else I started off with a pair of clowns. They're hardy and will get along with just about anything else you add to the tank later on.

I recently added a sailfin tang and a copperband butterfly and they're doing great. They're not kidding when copperbands are finicky eaters. It'll just have this, "dur, what's this?" look on its face when I feed the fishes. I tried frozen bloodworms and it does seem to like that though.

If you add a tang, just stick with one. Sailfin Tangs don't belong in 100 gal tanks in my opinion. Plus corner tanks don't have much length, so if you do decide to get a Tang get one that doesn't get as big so fast, like a yellow or kole tang. Most wrasses do great together and stay relatively small. Avoid the sixline though, or any coris wrasse besides a yellow coris (actually a canary). Chromis are OK, but they like to pick eachother off when they are in schools... plus like someone else said... booooorrrrinng. Definitely no damsels.

As far as clowns, just realize that some varieties are more aggressive and territorial than others. Percula or occelaris are a good choice that others have recommended. Avoid maroons and tomatoes for instance, they get suuuper mean overtime.

Post what fish you find and like and we can help you make an informed decision.

Welcome to SCR! :21:

Latest posts