Clowns being bad and what to do??

I bought 2 clown fish and one died. So I QT the next one and dropped him in the tank after a week or 2. Then the prior clown that was in the tankfrom the first pair I bought started picking on him - hi was larger than the new clown and was doing great. When I introduced the new clown he spent the night in the tank and was picked on by the older larger one. So I put the larger one in QT for 2 to 3 days and brought him back into the tank and the fights began again.

What can I do - if I introduce the small one to a completely new tank and bring the bing in the larger one later (1-2 weeks) will they get along - or will they ever???? or would I be better just buying a new one to PAIR up with the smaller one???

Thanks,
Ray:hmmmm:

Mac Inger

Pairing clowns its an artform on its own. The big one is the female,..the small one is the male. What kind of clowns ? Difficulty of pairing also depends on type of clown.
You might have to change the male (small one),..put him in a container with holes in it inside the tank so the female gets acquainted. She will accept or reject him. Its a gamble. You might have to try a few different males until she accepts. The container will help the little male from getting hurt. When she accepts and is friendly then release the male

i know,..not easy,...but definitely doable

you could always sell the female and just get a new pair

Pairing most clowns are pretty simple and straightforward, except for Maroons, which are notoriously hard to pair up. They may or may not fight for a bit but usually stop fairly quickly. Maroons in a lot of cases will fight till one dies if they aren't introduced as a pair. If that's what you have, try what Ergin suggested. It worked for me in the past. Good luck.

They are black and white clowns - I put the large one in the cup (sorry not QT) - so I guess I will try putting the little guy in there and see how things work - how do I know if she accepts him or not - just let him free once in a while to see how she takes to him again - She was in the cup for three days - I didnt want to put her in there, but she had already missed up little guys fin. So I figured it was the best for both of them. the fin had tears in it and healed overnight. Well I am going to try little guy tonight and introduce them again in 2 or 3 days.

Definitely use the method Ergin described. Sounds like she has already let you know that she is not accepting him. If they're going to get along, there may be some playful nipping, but not damage. They'll pretty much just be happy together. If she doesn't accept she will let you know by bullying the male (as seems to already be the case). A specimen container (clear box with holes) for the new male is the safest way to tell. GL :)

Mac Inger

When i said container,..i meant a transparent container,..so that the two fish can see each other. Then you will know. If the female doesnt try to attack and hangs out with the little dude then youre fine. If shes still trying to bite then she doesnt like him

i've got 3 of them, and my big balck & white clown picks on only one of the other ones i have in the tank. i think they are trying to establish who is going to be m/f... got them all at the same time (same size when purchased), but one is huge, the other is medium in size and the third is still small. the medium size one is the one that gets picked on by the biggest. i think you gotta keep the one getting picked on in a clear container for a few days, then let him out and let them do their thing. they may fight, but not to the point where they will kill eachother. atleast that's the way mine are. also, fins grow back in about a day or two, so don't worry.

yeah they are in a semi clear plastic cup with holes drilled in it all around the top so the water circlates. they can see each other and the smal one just cruises the tank - so i am going to try and switch them and see how it goes.

Ok update - I went to trade fish in the cup - putting the male (smaller) clown in the clear cup and letting the female (larger) clown out of jail. So I released the female in the tank and kicked back and watched them for a while. Well she picked on him for about 5mins. if that. Then she seemed to stop picking on the smller fish and started to hang out and be buddies. :beer: Sweet - Now I dont have to stress the little guy out by netting him and keeping him in a tiny little cup. Now that they are getting along, I am moving them in a couple days to a 12g Nano.

Now what should I get for them to host in such a small tank - a carpet? would they be cool with some frog spwan??? any ideas would be great

Last edited:

Latest posts